My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Early morning walks

I walk nearly every morning at 5 AM. Most mornings, on my return trip back along 39th Avenue, I would meet an older guy walking the other way. We would nod politely and say "Good morning".

I wouldn't see him every single day, but I looked forward to it. It was kind of nice to see someone else out there at that early hour. He was a lot older than me, maybe late 50's or early 60's.

But it has been several weeks since I have seen him. Almost every day I wonder about that. Did he alter his routine? Change times? Give it up? Did he die?

I don't know.

When I am in Atlanta, I still walk, and I go past a little clump of trees in front of an apartment complex. Often, I will see a rabbit among the trees or on the grass, and my heart goes out to him. I wonder how a wild rabbit manages to survive in the Perimeter section of Atlanta?

This past week I bought a bag of carrots, and I would spread some around the wooded area, even if I didn't see him. I like to think he found them and enjoyed a snack. I have a soft spot in my heart for rabbits, as we have three of them.

On my walks here in Gainesville, I often walk by a pony on a farm on 39th Avenue. I keep meaning to bring him carrots too, but so far I keep forgetting. Maybe now that I have written this, I will remember to do so tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.