My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Golden Girls need not apply....

My friend Galen suggested that I post my top ten favorite sitcoms.

He was very specific that it be sitcoms, not TV shows in general.

There have been a lot of great sitcoms. I remember watching All in the Family, Maude, The Jeffersons, M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Cheers, Happy Days. I enjoyed all of those.

I did not enjoy The Cosby Show, Saved by the Bell, Different Strokes, Kate and Allie, or Family Matters, I Love Lucy, or Three's Company.

But what is a sitcom? Was the Brady Bunch a sitcom? I guess so, although at the time I don't recall it ever being referred to as one.

Not that I was going to pick that anyway. The Partridge Family, either.

Are cartoon shows sitcoms? They're comedies. Hmm..... I guess technically, they are not Situation Comedies. But still....are they Animated Situation Comedies?

My tastes tend to be a bit out of the mainstream, in case you haven't guessed. So none of the above would make my list.

Okay, in no particular order, except for the first one, here is my list:
  • Seinfeld
  • Curb Your Enthusisam
  • The Office (with Steve Carrell)
  • Married With Children (first year only)
  • Buffalo Bill
  • Family Guy
  • The Simpsons
  • The Larry Sanders Show
  • Entourage
  • Police Squad!

I think that's a pretty smart and solid list. I can live with it.

Not a lot of "very special episodes" in that list. Not many lessons learned. Not many group hugs.

That's how I like my comedy. Squirmy. Dark. Mean spirited. Selfish. Caustic. Self-absorbed. Sarcastic. Smart. Sharp.

Andy Griffith, go fuck yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.