My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Mortality, take it or leave it

I mentioned I didn't think I'd make it to 43.

In my early 20's I had a premonition for a long time that I wouldn't live to see my 26th birthday. I didn't know why, it was just a strong strong feeling.

And I guess I shouldn't have. I took a lot of foolish chances. Especially drinking. And driving. And drinking and driving. There were probably hundreds of times I should have been caught. And more than half a dozen times when I was stopped or went through a roadblock and still skated, whether by luck or design.

And, of course, I did get nailed eventually.

I got into accidents. Wrecked cars. Drove down stairs. Skidded. Spun out. And always came out without a scratch.

I drank more than a human being should. I was heavyweight champion of the world.

But I made it.

And then about 4 years ago I felt a similar premonition, that I wouldn't make it to the end of the year. I honestly felt that way. And I was OK with it.

But I made it again.

So here I am. I guess it's true that only the good die young. Billy Joel is so wise.

Cause I'm a bad guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.