My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My Favorite Albums

Last month a good friend of mine and I had lengthy discussions about our favorite songs. And today I hosted a radio remote at work and spent most of the four hours talking about bands and songs and music with Alan, the DJ and Christine, my co-host.

So I got to thinking, as I often do....

Songs are easy. Songs are plentiful. As long as I had 200 or more slots, I could pick my favorite songs. Well, maybe 300 slots.

But what about albums? There are a lot of good songs on mediocre albums. What if I had to pick 10 all time favorite albums? And no greatest hits collections--that would be cheating. Could I do it?

Let's see. Off the top off my head...

London Calling--The Clash
Get the Knack--The Knack
Purple Rain Soundtrack--Prince
The Outsider--Rodney Crowell
Bat Out of Hell--Meatloaf

Hmm...that was easy, but now I only have 5 slots left. And I'm already thinking of cutting The Outsider. I love it, but it was released this year, and I'm thinking to make the list the album has to have established itself as timeless....

OK, The Outsider is out. Replace with Born to Run--Bruce Springsteen.

OK, 5 slots left.....

I gotta have John Hiatt in there...so.....Ya'll Caught--John Hiatt.

4 slots....

The Stones....TPOH....Seger, maybe, but which one? Damn....

OK, Talking Heads '77--Talking Heads.

3 slots....

Hmm....DiFranco, Petty, oh damn, what about The Beatles.....umm....um....gotta have The Beatles....but which one......

OK, The White Album--the Beatles. It's a double album. Hee hee, more bang for the buck.

2 slots left I think...

This is hard.....

Ok, Warren Zevon's first album. Warren Zevon--Warren Zevon.

One more, kids...

Drumroll please...

Um.....I'm choking....

Ok....

J. Geils Band--Freeze Frame. No, that's no good. Hmm....

OK, I'm going with Exile from Guyville--Liz Phair.

That's the list.

Not bad for 20 minutes thought. I can live with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.