My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Time Warp

Most people think I am younger than I really am. I am 43 years old. But a lot of people, when asked, will guess mid to late 30's.

I don't see it. There are a lot of days I feel every inch of 43. And I think I look it. And there are days I get out of bed creaking and groaning like an old man.

But people say it.

I guess I don't act my age a lot of the time. Maybe that has something to do with it. Most of the people I interact with at work are late 20's-mid 30's. Upstairs skews higher, but I'm a first floor guy.

I get asked to go out a lot at night to clubs, or parties, or what have you. Man, I can't do that anymore. I'm 43! I used to party professionally, but those days are long gone. Long gone.

Maybe not having had kids has something to do with it. I guess I never really grew up.

I have a friend at work. Her name is Robin. In fact, we're taking a really long lunch on Friday to shoot pool. We've got a bet.

Robin is 21. Every once in a while I flash on that. 21. She could be my daughter. And yet I rarely think of that or see her in that way.

Maybe in 20 years I'll be a really hip old guy. If I make it that far. I didn't think I'd make it this far. Not by a long shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.