My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Boob Tube

I like TV. But these days it's hard for me to watch anything but comedies with any regularity. Sixty minutes is just such a big commitment, you know?

I have never seen Desperate Housewives, Lost, 24, or any of those other shows that are in vogue right now.

But in the past, I was not so afraid of commitment. And so, here are my top ten favorite hour long TV shows of all time, in order:

  • American Gothic starring Gary Cole as the supernaturally corrupt sherrif of Trinity, South Carolina.
  • Late Show with David Letterman. I've been with him since way back when he had his morning show.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: the adventures of Joel/Mike and the bots as they are forced to screen bad movies.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The musical episode "Once More with Feeling" may be my favorite hour long episode of any show ever.
  • The Sopranos. Fuggetaboutit.
  • The X Files. Lost some steam in the last few years, but up until then it was marvelous.
  • Law and Order Criminal Intent. Vincent D'Onofrio is just dreamy.
  • Moonlighting. Can't miss TV back in the 80's.
  • Firefly. If not a home run for Josh Whedon, like Buffy was, at least a good solid three-bagger.
  • Twin Peaks. The first year was unlike anything we had ever seen.

I'm happy with that list. And I gotta tell you, American Gothic was pretty obscure. If you were a fan, you are ultra cool in my book. There aren't many of us around.

Now, if you were a fan of both American Gothic and Mystery Science Theater, you are ultra mega cool, and that, my friends, means you are breathing rarified air.

And if you were a fan of both of those and Buffy? You and I are as one, and I must put you in my will. Or, if you prefer, I will have your baby.

Your choice.

7 Comments:

Blogger Belle said...

(raises hand)

I LOVED American Gothic. I also enjoyed Buffy, the X-Files, Moonlighting, Vincent D'onofrio is a fucking hottie, a season here and there of The Sopranos, etc..

I, too, have never seen Desperate Housewives or Lost nor will I ever. I've watched 24 before...eh, it's just another cop drama.

10:50 AM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

X-Files and... sorry, I'm a Trekkie.... all Star Trek... And Roswell and if you want something very very old.... Laugh-in... :o) But I'm also a fan of LOST... Sorry again. ;o))))))

11:12 AM  
Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

My top 10:

Law and Order (doesn't matter which one)
Homicide: Life on the Street
The Shield
Sopranos
Hunter
Moonlighting
Remington Steele
Ren and Stimpy
Christopher Lowell
Fantasy Island or SNL

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Matt said...

this is a hard one.

buffy
the original star trek
the sopranos
twin peaks

that's where my brain dries up. shouuld I even bother with TNG and Angel? or are they too spinoffy to earn their spots?

anyway, you should watch the new Battlestar Galactica--everyone should. it should be a national requirement, like taxes.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

TJ--2 out of the big 3. Whew. For a minute there I thought I was either going to have to bear your child or leave you a big slice of dough.

Nice to meet another Lucas Buck fan, though!

Merlinprincesse--Star Trek is good, but I only watch the original. I don't watch the ones with the scab crews...

Nuggetmaven--Hunter? Hunter?

Matt--you had me up until Battlestar Galactica. Now we have to have you drug tested.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Belle said...

Nugget Remington Steele ROCKED! In fact for years now people have been telling me I look like Stephanie Zimbalist. I don't see it, but if it makes them happy to say it...lol.

OMG Ren and Stimpy?! Those two kick ass.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Matt said...

can't help it--the new BSG has stolen my heart away from Lost, which is boring me lately.

if loving BSG is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.