My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Frodo Lives!

J.R.R. Tolkein was born on this date in 1892. If he was alive today he would be 114 years old. Which I think, if memory serves, would still be pretty young for a hobbit.

I don't recall exactly, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I remember reading somewhere that certain scholars have tried to make the point that the Lord Of The Rings trilogy was full of symbolism relating to the Second World War. Tolkien himself always maintained that was not the case, but I think some scholars still make that argument.

Scholars. Phhhht.

That's the sort of thing that always turned me off the so called "Classics" we would read in school. Symbolism this and symbolism that. I don't have time to decipher all that. Just tell me a goddamn story.

Know what I mean?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ryan said...

Yes, you are correct, Brad. Couldn't the same be also said for the Bible? It's not the popular answer, but valid, no?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Symbolism in the Bible? Yes, that is true, but I'm not much of a Bible guy either. Not enough hobbits.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.