My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Inner Sanctum

I like to think I have a pretty cool office. I often joke that I like my office to have a lot of personality to make up for the fact that I have none. But of course, that's not true. Some people would say that I probably have too much personality.

There are some definite themes in my office. The walls are adorned with framed posters of some of my favorite movies: Scarface, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Apocalypse Now, Dirty Harry, Reservoir Dogs, and of course, The Blues Brothers. Although I have been thinking about replacing the Dirty Harry poster with this one from Sin City.

On the top shelf of my desk above the cabinets I've got a row of framed autographed photos from some of my favorite actors: Kim Basinger, Steve Martin, John Travolta, Billy Bob Thornton, Leslie Nielson, and Russell Crowe.

On the windowsill in back the theme is "Boston Red Sox". I've got a couple of books about the team, a bobblehead doll, a couple of replica signed baseballs (one from the 1999 All Star game and one from the 2004 World Championship team), and a commemorative hat from the 2004 World Series.

Also on the walls are a few awards, a picture that Mrs. Fabulous painted, a calendar with pictures of my niece and nephew, and a Red Sox pennant that Jason, who has the office next to mine, gave me. He was my secret Santa last month.

My desktop is usually covered with papers, projects, proposals, and various detritus but aside from my laptop and printer I've got a picture of Mrs. Fabulous (of course), that framed print of Rudyard Kipling's "IF", and some smart ass items from Despair.com.

If you've never heard of Despair.com I urge you to check it out. Their stuff is hilarious! At first glance they seem like all the other bullshit motivational posters you see in the workplace, but looks can be deceiving. On the desk I have two framed prints: "Goals" and "Motivation". And I even have a themed sticky note pad, "Procrastination".

I like my office. I have a big window to daydream out of, a nice stereo with which to crank up the tunes, and the desk is big enough for me to crawl under and take a nap.

It is often a sanctuary for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Aha - a fellow Sox fan....
Are you despairing over our lack of SS and Center Field? Because this girl is!!!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Ah, Rebecca, I do indeed. Tough times are ahead, I fear.

Cue: heavy sigh....

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.