My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Just another day, whew!

Hey, it’s the last day of the month!

Heh heh.

It means nothing to me now. But I remember when it meant a great deal to me.

Back when I worked in the loan business, it was all about the last day of the month. That was the day you worked toward during the course of the entire preceding 30 days. That was the day everybody worked late. It was the day everyone was out in the field making collection calls. It was the day we had a fistful of post dated checks to run through. It was the day we waited anxiously for the mail to arrive. It was the day we might pop a car or two if we thought we couldn’t get a payment. The language we would use on the phone got a little stronger. If the day was going well, everyone was all smiles and high fives. If it wasn’t, tempers were short and moods were depressed and foul.

We would do everything we possibly could to move as much delinquency as humanly possible before we had to close out for the month. There was no bigger factor in how you were judged than how you finished the month out.

I can remember back to August of 2000, after I went to work for the blood center. August 31st rolled around and it suddenly dawned on me: I don’t have to worry about this anymore.

And I laughed and laughed.

8 Comments:

Blogger CP said...

"The loan business..."


*shifty eyed look*


you were in "collections".


*cracks my knuckles*


Riii-iiii-iiii-ght.

Like I said, witness protection program.

CP.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

hahahha, mortgages or "loans"?

I'm w. CP on this one Mr. Fabulous.

BTW: Whatcha think about the Coco Crisp deal? (Aside from the fact that his parents were clearly smoking crack when they named him!!!)

7:27 PM  
Blogger KB said...

OMG! Divine & I worked a cheesy loan company together when we were like 21. We "chased" our delinquents. The end of the month soooo sucked ass!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

CP-I can't talk about it anymore without putting myself at risk...

Rebecca-I like the deal! We're getting him just as he should really be coming into his own. I'm not as crazy about shortstop, but we needed somebody, and at least he's a good glove man. I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic. Now I just hope we hold onto Manny!

KB-Always nice to make the aquaintance of another veteran from the loan wars! I imagine it was different in Iowa, though. Repo a lot of cows? :)

5:09 AM  
Blogger KB said...

No cows, but lots of trailers! ;-)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Ooh KB was hardcore! I just took their cars, she popped their homes! I'm not worthy!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Prairie Girl said...

My first job out of school was with a collection agency and I remember the last day of the month as if it were yesterday. What an eye-opening experience that was! And Mr. Green and Mr. Brown and Miss Jones -- oh such memories of these dear anonymities!

2:31 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

PG--you? But you seem so sweet and innocent. I guess you never know...

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.