My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Oddly enough...

On the heels of Elvis' birthday, January 9th is the anniversary of Richard Nixon's birthday.

He wasn't as sexy, and he couldn't sing. But I always found Nixon to be a fascinating tragic figure as well.

The constant career resurrections, the Checkers speech, the trip to China, the bombing of Cambodia, the end of the Vietnam war, Watergate, his later years as an elder statesman...

The paranoia. The enemies list. The secret taping.

Compelling.

If I was having a dinner party, and could invite five famous dead people, I would pick Elvis, Nixon, Napoleon, Lincoln, and Julius Caesar.

Wait, let me clarify; they could come to dinner as if they were alive again. Not as five dead people. Or zombies.

Because that would just be weird.

Wait a minute. I don't speak French. Or Latin. Hmm..that could put a damper on the conversation.

Okay, let's tweak the guest list. I'd invite Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Cleopatra, and Helen of Troy. And then after dinner we could all participate in a...um....focus group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.