My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Pondering the big question...

I am not a religious guy. Never have been, and in all likelihood never will be. There are so many religions, and they represent so many beliefs…it’s very confusing and arbitrary. And it seems to me there is a lot of hypocrisy inherent in religion. And a lot of evil deeds through history have been perpetrated by man in the name of God.

Bottom line, I guess I’m not a guy who has a lot of faith in anything. And you certainly need to have faith to believe in God. I just don’t have it.

I guess I wish I did. I mean, it would be nice to believe in something, to be able to take strength and comfort from belief in a higher power. On some level, I envy those people.

I would love to have that kind of piece of mind. They seem so sure.

I guess if anything, I am an Existentialist. There is no God, and man is responsible for his own actions.

Hey, I try to live my life right, you know? I give to charity, I'm nice to people, I don't steal or kill or violate any of that commandment stuff (well, maybe I violate a couple).

Just the other night at dinner, at another table, an elderly woman had dropped her lipstick and couldn't bend down to get it. I went over and retrieved it for her. She was very surprised and grateful.

And a few days after that, as I walked out to get the morning paper, I saw an earthworm struggling to get across the driveway in the cold. I picked him up and brought him over to some earth he could easily dig through.

See? How can a guy like me go to hell?

10 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Good post dude. Apparently it's cool to love our fellow man as long as you don't love your fellow man...

And where the hell were these "sanctity of life" people during the inquisition and the salem witch trials.

When people quit killing each other over whos god is the right god maybe, just maybe, I'll have a look at taking this seriously.

9:32 AM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

We ARE already in Hell my dear!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hell, you seem more nice than some christians I know anyway. At least you know the difference between right and wrong.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Matt said...

hell is other people.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well let’s see here. What are the Ten Commandments? Thou shall not kill, steal, worship false idols, no god before me, covet another man's wife, lord's name in vain, commit adultery, etc, etc. But lets look a few things that have happened in the name of religion...Luther publishes his 95 theses and the Vatican places a hit on his life, flee's his home, and blah blah blah, lets look at the crusades: killing, rape, murder, genocide to name a few choice happenings. And then there is theft. This is my personal favorite time to point at the holes in religion. The inquisition, which was a clever guise to steal land and property from innocent people and claim them for God and more importantly church, is in my opinion the pinnacle of commandment breakers for all religion. The sooner people understand what the Vatican is the better…What is the Vatican, only one of the most prosperous land owning companies in the world; we won’t even discuss the amount of money…Besides why do you think they are against pro-choice. No baby Catholics mean no adult catholic followers and without that there is no money. Pretty simple philosophy when you look at all together.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Chinedu Opara said...

About your posting... well, all I can say is don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. People are responsible for their own actions, whether or not they say they're doing it in the name of some diety.

Anyway the reason I wrote is, I saw your PROFILE text, read it all the way to the end, and I was like, "Oh SNAP!" that was a GOOD burn! When's a rimshot when you need it :)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Well I've always said that I love God with all my heart. It's his fan club that drives me nuts.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

All valid points of view. Thanks for the comments, guys!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I think a lot of people these days are realizing that our religious institutions just aren't making it! Most of us can see right through them!

So what I hear you saying, by the examples you've given, is that you are a Spiritual person who has a sense of right and wrong! Give me a spiritual being any day over a religious one and I'll be a happy camper.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Belle said...

High 5 to the non-religious folk! I am not religious, either. I grew up in a Conservative Jewish household and hated every minute of it. I went to Hebrew school, was Bat Mitzvahed and confirmed and it was hypocritical of me to do so because I have despised religion for as long as I can remember. Maybe because I truly believe if there were no such thing as religion, the world would be a much more peaceful place and I will always stand by that belief. Religion separates people and we are all of equal status in my opinion.

Jews don't believe in Heaven or Hell but if we did, I'd already be in Hell.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.