My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Why I do what I do...

This is not my story. This is a story my friend Christine told the other day. Christine works for the local branch. We were with Andy, from WJLF, who was doing a remote over at corporate for JOY FM. I had heard the story before, but Andy hadn't.

Christine had combined the JOY FM promotion with Some Bunny Cares, which is a promotion we do periodically throughout the system. Every year I solicit Ty, Inc. and every year they are kind enough to provide us with stuffed bunnies for the promotion. We generally run it in Gainesville, Birmingham, and Atlanta, where we supply blood products to children's hospitals.

When people come in to donate blood, they can sign a card. The cards are attached to the bunnies, and then at some point we go over and deliver them to the pediatric wards and distribute them to the children. It is usually a pretty emotional visit. I have never actually done it. It would ruin my image to get all weepy in front of co-workers!

In any event, at the time last year when they were delivering the bunnies to Shands Hospital here in town, there were three brothers in the hospital who had been in an automobile accident. They were teenagers, and all three had been thrown from the car. Two were in the children's ward, and the third was in ICU.

They were able to give bunnies to the two in the ward, but of course they couldn't set foot in ICU. However, they left enough bunnies for all the kids up there, and the hospital personnel delivered them, so the third brother got one.

He died that day.

His parents buried the bunny with him. It was the last thing all three of them had received together. And now when the other two brothers look at their bunnies they can remember their brother.

Blood banking is full of stories like that. Sad stories, but also happy stories. Miracles. Chances are those two surviving brothers made it because of blood products they received.

A patient only receives a blood product if he or she will die without it. Blood donors help to save up to three lives every single time they donate. It means so much to me to see these special people every day, people who come in and give so freely of themselves for people who, in most cases, they will never even meet.

Working in the corporate office these days, I don't get to have as much interaction with donors as I used to. But I am trying to get out more. I find I miss it. A lot.

If you are eligible to give blood, I urge that you do so. Blood is only available when it is needed because people took the time to donate prior to the need. Countless lives are saved every day, every hour, every minute. And they aren't always strangers. It could be a member of your family, a neighbor, a coworker...

It could be you.

2 Comments:

Blogger FreedomGirl said...

I wish I could. The meds I take make me inelegible.

I see you've worked on your HTML...looks good.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Thanks, I still need to straighten out the sidebar, but one thing at a time. Thanks for the advice!

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.