My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The joys of being ambulatory...

I walk quite a bit. I walk for exercise, and I also walk plenty during the normal course of the day. I think most of us do. I should probably walk even more, but with a desk job it's not always possible.

So I've got walking down pat. But the other day a question popped into my head.

Do I amble enough?

Ambling is much more laid back than walking, correct? Ambling is something you do down a garden path, smelling flowers, enjoying the warm rays of the sun on your face, watching a butterfly zig zag his way across the garden.

I can't remember the last time I ambled.

Now, I have sauntered. I saunter well. And I have strolled, certainly. But somehow it doesn't seem the same as ambling.

I do not strut. I feel that's kind of a pompous way to get around.

I've even skipped. It has been a while, but I distinctly recall an afternoon about six years or so ago, when Mrs. Fabulous and I were walking along the Hawthorne Trail and every so often, after making sure no one was around, I skipped ahead a couple of times.

Felt good. I may do it again sometime.

I've marched, but it's been a while, not since I was in band in junior high school.

Now, in about ten days I'm entered into the LifeSouth marathon in town. I plan on walking the half-marathon. But I think I'll probably only be walking up until about the 9th mile or so. Then I'll be plodding. I don't know as I've ever plodded before. It doesn't sound like much fun, but truthfully I'll just be happy if the plodding doesn't turn into crawling.

There might even be some plodding involved. I fear that inevitably the marathon will turn into my own personal Bataan death march.

Ambling.

I'm gonna work on that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Ambling is good, Steve Martin wrote a song about it. Wait, that was rambling? Oh, never mind.

I love to amble but mozying (sic) is my favorite. It's just a little more laid back than ambling.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

...and just think: you'll get a t-shirt after the 'death march'! ;)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Billy--Moseying, huh? I hadn't considered that...

BP--I actually get the T-shirt the day before at the sign and weigh in. Afterwards I get a really cool medal. I'm doing it all for the medal!

6:01 PM  
Blogger KB said...

At my job the only speed is "hurry the fuck up."

I would kiss some serious ass to be able to amble. ehehe

Even when I'm not working I speed walk.

WTF?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I understand.

It's all about the bling. :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

KB--No ambling allowed in a hospital, for sure!

BP--You know it! It's big and heavy. I'll feel like a rap star!

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.