My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Of alligators and skydiving

I had a conversation with my friend Maura up in Atlanta the other day. It was not the sort of conversation one normally has, I don't think.

Maura has a sense of adventure. Me, not so much. I like to go through as much of my life as possible not exposing myself to otherwise avoidable danger. It's just a rule I have.

The conversation turned to skydiving, and Maura indicated she would like to try it someday. I, of course, immediately brought up the subject of what would happen if the chute didn't open. Specifically, *SPLAT*.

She had a very enlightened attitude about it. She was okay with that, reasoning that the experience would be worth it. I thought that was a really cool viewpoint. Not one I would adopt in a million years, but cool nonetheless.

I can't remember how the conversation turned to alligators, but Maura indicated that she was afraid of them. Now, oddly, I am not. I've walked right by them before in Payne's Prairie. But I'm not stupid about it. I have a healthy respect for what they are capable of.

I felt it would be much cooler to die at the hands of an alligator than in a skydiving accident. We discussed that for a while. She initially disagreed, but slowly saw the reasoning, at least for a minute. At least until I pointed out that a person would become more of a legend if they got killed by an alligator because fewer people die in alligator attacks each year than die in skydiving accidents.

She drew the line at that, however, and would not concede that point. She felt skydiving deaths were the lower number. So I looked it up.

From 1948 to 1999, 9 people were reportedly killed by alligators. A lot more were attacked, but only 9 died. On average, 30 people every year die in skydiving accidents. So I was proven correct at least on that point.

There was no word on how many alligators died in skydiving accidents. Apparently those records are sealed.

And me? My preference is still to go down in a hail of gunfire.

Now that's a legend, baby.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gary J. Wood said...

Or you could parachute into a pond filled with alligators.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Belle said...

My adventurous days are long gone. I've done bungee jumping and sky diving, each once. I would never do either again, especially the sky diving because blowing chow in mid-air just ain't cool. And I don't think the guy riding tandem appreciated it much either.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Gary--Very cool. Now if only there was a Swat team on the other side...

TJ--I don't suppose there is any footage of you losing your lunch on the way down, is there? I would pay big money!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

I went tandem skydiving on my 30th birthday and it was AWESOME. I'd love to do it again soon actually. After I did it, it was all I could think about for days. I still have vivid memories of that experience. :)

11:02 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

favorite, favorite post.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.