My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Reason Number 541 Why I Don't Understand People

I was in the grocery store early this morning, as I usually am (Mrs. Fabulous and I have an arrangement-early on Saturday mornings I do the shopping at Wal-Mart and Publix, come home, put the stuff away, plan the menus, and then she does the cooking. That way she gets to sleep in on Saturday, I'm an early riser anyway, and I get to shop when it's not very crowded. It's very equitable, and it seems to work well for us).

Now, I don't know how it works at other grocery stores, because I only shop at Publix, but Publix has a policy that they offer carryout service of the groceries to the car to all their shoppers.

They offer it to me everytime, and it always surprises me a little. I'm a big strapping lad, I'd feel like a heel having some kid push my cart out and load my car for me.

And they don't offer to do it because of any tips they might receive. Tipping is not allowed at Publix.

So of course the guy makes the offer and I turn it down. But that gets me thinking about all the people who I see do take them up on the offer.

And I'm not talking about one parent trying to juggle one or more kids. I understand that. I'm all for them getting all the help they can. Or an elderly person. Or someone in some way differently abled. I'm cool with all that.

But I am amazed at all the healthy, fit, robust people (yes, men too!) who take them up on the offer. There is nothing wrong with them. They are, in some cases I am sure, more capable than I am of loading their own groceries.

It doesn't make any sense!

And that's #541 for those of you scoring at home.

Sheesh.

8 Comments:

Blogger Big Pissy said...

I can't relate to the offer of carrying out groceries b/c there is no Publix here in Hell. Only Wal-mart. And they not only do not offer to carry your groceries, they don't even put 'em in your cart anymore.

*sigh*

12:18 PM  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Yeah, the carrying my stuff to my car thing is crazy to me as well. I did it one time, but only because I had 4 shopping carts full of stuff. The grocery store I went to had a "no tipping" policy as well, but I slipped the young man 20 bucks. When he refused, I gave him a look and said "Just take it jackass!!"..lol

12:39 PM  
Blogger Daedalus said...

Oh, but this one is easy to understand. Americans have become incredibly lazy. Too much television, not enough exercise, too much technology. Why do something for yourself when someone else can do it?

I'd carry the bags myself. I may even walk to the store if I didn't have to purchase too much.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Yes, that level of laziness is crazy. I am healthy and in good shape...I'd NEVER take up the clerks on their offer to push my cart to my car. No way. By the way, when I was 19 I used to work in a grocery store as a clerk. I was happy to help the elderly with their groceries and anyone with some physical disability. Only once in a while did I have someone who did not fit in that category expect me to load up their groceries in their car for them.

Thanks for visiting my blog (and for your vote) by the way. :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

BP--Ah yes, I've been to Hell. I feel your pain, my friend!

THC--4 carts? Must have been a hell of a party, dude!

Daedalus--I can't argue with that.

Marie--Thanks for visiting mine :) And you're welcome, you deserve it!

4:44 PM  
Blogger The Wrath of Dawn said...

It's amazing how lazy people can be.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Big Ben said...

There was a special needs kid at kroger that took my groceries out for me. I would take the longest route to my car as possible to mess with him.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Dawn--I could not agree more

BB--That's beautiful, man!

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.