My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Sign here please...

One of my hobbies is collecting autographs. I've been doing it for a long time, off and on. What I've found is, I will send out a bunch of requests all at once in a flurry when the mood strikes me, and then it might be a year before I get the urge again. I used to be more consistent, but one of the problems is that I seem to have run out of room:

And I just can't work up any enthusiasm for putting them in binders, although I have done that with the overflow. This is a picture of our den. I rarely use this computer, except for managing my iTunes library. I mostly use my laptop, Excalibur!, for everything else. The computer is more a home for our wireless router and printer than anything else.

The den is the only room in the house I am allowed to decorate. I can live with that. Mrs. Fabulous has a much better sense of style than I do. She subscribes to the theory that "less is more". Obviously, I cannot relate to that statement. Look here, I've even taken to stacking them on the ledge where I've run out of wall space.

Hmm...by now it should be obvious that I have zero photography skills. Nice shot of a portion of the couch in the lower right corner. My work will never be confused with Prairie Girl, Gary, or Kirlin, among others.

What I can take a bit of pride in is that most visitors think that the den is the coolest room in the house. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Although soon they may like the patio better.

And yes, I know they are a little crooked. Or a lot, in some cases. I had them pretty straight at one point, but then I got the bright idea to group them all according to how they were famous (sports, politics, music, etc.) and since I have all different kinds of frames, it is impossible to get them to hang straight, unless I want to quit my job and tend to them full time.

Anyway, that's my den. It's been a while since I sent any requests out. I'm in a lull.

28 Comments:

Blogger Maidink said...

Very very impressive.

I know this may sound silly, but are they insured? I only ask because the few rare collectibles I used to have went up in smoke about four years ago. I never insured them; ergo, I was out.

My stuff was mostly NASCAR rare collectibles and music rare collectibles - no autographs. I don't know if there is a difference.

But they were mine dammit!

Now I collect nothing. House fires have a way of doing that.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Belle said...

Damn, that's better than wallpaper!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Jozee said...

That's amazing!
Where should I send my autograph?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

It is cool, and Mrs. Fab. deserves a medal. Ir a regular spa day.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jozee said...

I'll send a special 4x6 to fit into that little space between the table legs, down by the floor.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Okay, so tell us, who has given you your most prized autograph when it comes to movie/TV stars?

Just curious.....

The only thing I have worthy any celebrity value (and I have no proof of it but I know it's true) is Ricky Nelsons guitar pick that he used in one of his shows. And honestly, Ricky Nelson was a bit before my time (my dad got it and gave it to me).

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Nice den!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Maidink--No, it's one of those things I never get around to doing. I gotta get on that.

A fire is one of my worst nightmares. Damn, I am sorry it happened to you...

Belle--And cheaper too!

Jozee--I will send you the address!

Belinda--Hey, I EARNED one room LOL

Stacy--I don't know if I ahve a favorite...the one I remember most is Ed O'Neill from Married with Children, because he was the first, and that got me started..

Lori--Thanks!

9:55 AM  
Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Very cool! :)
Which one of the ladies is your most prized autograph?

10:05 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

It's been said, but: very, very impressive!

Which is your favorite autograph?

I bet it takes visitors hours to look at all of 'em!

charge admission. That'll pay for your insurance on them ;-)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Ex-Addict said...

The room is cool. Very cool. But I am thinking that eventually, it will be a nursery & you will make a fortune on eBay. Just a hunch though.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Whoa!!! That is impressive! You have more than enough to open your own restaurant. All you need are boats and oars and stuff to hang from the ceilings. Well, I suppose you'd have to serve food, too. :P

11:48 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dang bro...so tell us, which is your favorite??

4:03 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Bead--If I had to pick one woman, maybe Kim Basinger, another early one.

Pissy and Mike--When you send me yours, those will be my favorite :)

Ex--No way! I'm wayyy too selfish and self absorbed to have kids!

Barb--Yes..the food would be the big problem LOL

5:22 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Who's the poor bastage who has to dust all those photo frames?

Very impressive though!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Two words - Holy Sh*t! I can't believe that you have that many autographs...how nice your wife let you have one room...
Mr Incredible can have the basement - if our house was bigger and we had a den I'd let him decorate that.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Dixie--The maid service LOL But I don't think they do...

Fantastigirl--Every man needs at least one room!

10:27 PM  
Blogger T said...

Ok - everyone wants to know your favorite... I want to know your wierdest... like Tiny Tim or Tattoo or Big Bird-

Now you just need to start your bloggers wall of fame... a little 8x10 glossy maybe?

10:29 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Wow! How did I miss this post??? I think your den is awesomely cool!! :) So how many do you have all together? Or did I miss that too? LOL

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

That's what I want to know--how many do you have? That's a collection! And I think you better get it insured ASAP! Better safe than sorry.

Soooo cool.

2:59 PM  
Blogger CP said...

That is so cool.

I won't even let my husband buy a pair of socks if they don't meet up to my standards, let alone decorate a whole room.

CP.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

T-My weirdest? Hmm...Bozo? Mister Rogers, maybe?

Good idea--send an 8X10 and we'll kick off a bloggers wall!

Chelle and Ginnie--Oh gee, I'm not sure how many I have. But you are right about the insurance..

CP--Control issues, dear? :)

5:13 AM  
Blogger Clo said...

A collector! I know a lot about collectors, I'm an antiquarian book dealer and also have post cards and ephemera! Hmmmm, do I have some signed photograph? Hmmm, ...
Hey! Do you know what Freud said about collectors?

3:37 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Clo--No, what did he say? :)

8:25 PM  
Blogger jkirlin said...

Why do I suspect that 'The Den' locks from the outside? :)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

Alex would like to know how you earned the one room. Do not tell him.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Clo said...

I think Freud said: "Well, sometimes, an autograph is just an autograph!" :O)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Jkirlin--Great, now you've put that idea in her head...

Clo--LOL He was very wise.

Belinda--I have already told him. He and I have a psychic connection, you see.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.