My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Testify!

I was hit by a realization yesterday. It did not come in the form of a bolt of lightening, as I understand so many of them do. It was more like a tap on the shoulder. Which was fortunate, because I was driving at the time.

I am a proselytizer.

Not about religion (please!) Not about politics (boring!) Not about the evils of wearing fur, or global warming, or the rain forests, or any of a hundred other things that people get passionate enough about to try to inflict their opinions on other folks, either quietly or loudly.

It's about music for me. I don't want to come in your house to read you the bible. I want to come in your house to play some music for you.

Yesterday I burned a CD of Zydeco music for Christine to use during a Mardi Gras promotion coming up later this month. And I figured that as long as I was in my iTunes library I would burn a CD for her of music that I thought she might like.

I make quite a few CDs for people. I don't beat them over the head with it, but if a conversation arises about music and I see an opening for me to offer to burn them a CD or two, I always take it.

Sometimes they are CDs of all one artist. Sometimes they are compilations. I am passionate about music, and I just like to take the opportunity to expose people to tunage that gives me a lot of pleasure, in hopes that it will bring them some pleasure.

This was the CD: (My Canadian friends please note--no fewer than three Canadian artists included!)

Wanna Rock and Roll-Cross Canadian Ragweed
The dead man's name was Louis Dupree, I pushed the little button on my knife,
I walked up and I said "Well, hello boys and girls, have you enjoyed your life?"

The Obscenity Prayer (Give It to Me)-Rodney Crowell
I could learn to love this life I lead, just don’t take away the things I need
I feel rosey in the pink, just don’t make me stop and think
All those dark thoughts in my head seem like better left unsaid

Dixie Beauxderaunt-Dan Baird
She was born down in Thibodaux, Louisianne
The victim of a short attention span
She stayed in school just long enough
To say that she had quit

Gravel-Ani DiFranco
You've been juggling two women,
Like a stupid circus clown,
Telling us both we are the one
And maybe you can keep me
From ever being happy,
But you're not gonna stop me from having fun.

Shades of Gray-Robert Earl Keen
Right or wrong, black or white
Cross the line you're gonna pay
In the dawn before the light
Live and die by the shades of gray

Nobody But Me-The Pursuit of Happiness
Who's gonna hold your hand in church like I do
Who's gonna hold your head when you come home drunk
Who's gonna risk his life in your bed like I do
Who's gonna risk his freedom buying you your drugs

The Cheap and Evil Girl-Bree Sharp
And you fantasize about the ample
Milky thighs you'd like to sample
Vocalize to her example
Deep illegal sighs, oh it's a scandal

The Girl I Can't Forget-Fountains of Wayne
Well, she picked me up in a German car
And she took me out to an Irish bar
Where I drank some beer in a plastic cup
'Til I had some trouble standing up

Too Bad About Your Girl-The Donnas
It's too bad about your girl
She doesn't look like she's much fun
It's too bad you got a date tonight
Cause you're lookin' like you're the one

If I Had a Rocket Launcher-Bruce Cockburn
I want to raise every voice -- at least i've got to try.
Every time i think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher...some sonofabitch would die

Finishing Touches--Warren Zevon
You can screw everybody I've ever known
But I still won't talk to you on the phone
It's a hopeless cause-there's no use crying
And I can die, you can die,
We can die trying

Good As She Could Be--John Hiatt
Well she had a baby at eighteen
Never finished high school
Her husband beat her for money and sex
Till that cadillac finally ran out of fuel

Still In Hollywood--Concrete Blonde
And so it's three A.M, I'm out walking again
I'm just a spot on the sidewalk in a city of sin
He doesn't give a fuck, he's living under a truck
You know it coulda been me, guess it's just my luck

I Still Dream About You-Joan Jett
Every night I get this feeling inside
Anticipating what's gonna come
It's all I can do to keep my hands off my pie
When I think about the things we done

Brave New World--Michael Penn
This may not be my best day
But this ain't no golden age
You looked pretty on the freeway
Let's drive into the brave new world

Throwing Stones--Paula Cole
You're the puppeteer and I'm the puppet
You manipulate me with your real catholic shit
Everytime i try to talk it through
You turn it around and make us out to be
Like David and Goliath

Nervous In The Alley--Smashmouth
She's 15 and she's leaving home
Living on the streets where she don't feel alone
Daddy's always gone and mommy's on the sauce
Living in a mansion it's easy to get lost
She's going to a place where they understand
Baby on the way her womb's a garbage can

8 Comments:

Blogger Gary J. Wood said...

"Testify"? Wasn't that a Robbie Robertson song?

Whatever. The Grammys and the new season of American Idol have left me with the feeling that musical taste is an endangered species. I'm glad to see it's still alive in Gainesville.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Dammit man, you leave a comment with the line "we at corporate" at my place and I dislike you only to have you quoting Cross Canadian Ragweed today. You vex me Mr. Fab, you vex me.

"I took her down to the railroad tracks and her dead red lips touched mine. I wanna rock and roll, time to hoochie coo..."

9:01 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Gary--It is a lonely battle I fight, but I exist but to serve...

Billy--Trust me, I am the least corporate-type person there!

Yeah, baby! I knew you were my kind of guy!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I got to see CCRW at Freebird Live in Jacksonville last February, helluva show; the opening act was Shooter Jennings.

It was like a big damn house party, I enjoyed the show but the sales calls the next day kinda suffered. Can't wait for another opportunity to see the boys.

11:52 AM  
Blogger The Wrath of Dawn said...

Speaking of Canadian artists, have you listened to:

Damhnait Doyle - http://www.dav-net.com/

Shaye (Damhnait with 2 other lovely ladies)
http://www.shayemusic.com/

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Matt said...

oh, that fountains of wayne tune is so sublime. just heard it yesterday on ye olde ipodde. had me bopping down the street!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oooo! I want it!

You often have women saying that to you, don't you?

6:16 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Dawn--Cool, I will check it out!

Dixie--Actually, what I hear most women speak to me through their attorneys :)

If you'd like a copy, send me your address and I'll have one out to you on Monday :)

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.