My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Friday, March 17, 2006

And in this corner...

OK, so my latest obsession has been the BlogExplosion site. I have been spending a lot of time there over the last week or so, and I've made some interesting discoveries (OK, maybe they are only interesting to me) and have formed a few opinions about blogs and bloggers. I'll be sharing them down the line. But this post is about *ring bell* Battle of the Blogs.

Once I had racked up enough credits by surfing blogs, I immediately threw my hat in the ring, being the naturally competitive fellow I am.

For those of you not familar with the game, two blogs go head to head for a purse of credits, and then 15 bloggers vote on who they think has the better blog. 75% of the credits go to the winner, and the other 25% are divided up among the voters. The loser gets squat. You can wager from 10 to 100 credits, and the challenger matches that amount.

It's addicting. For me anyway. Luckily my attention span is short, so I'm sure it will wear off soon.

I won my first battle. In fact I won my second. I had visions of running off an incredible streak of wins and racking up huge amounts of credits. Glory and fame would no doubt follow. An invitation to the White House, appearances on Letterman and Oprah, a Hollywood movie based on my life...

Umm...no.

I lost the next two. And then it was win and lose, lose and win down the line. Eventually I was happy to stay above .500. Currently my record is 16-10 and I am ranked number 430 (hey, I was ranked 1000-something at one point).

I have come to the conclusion that more than anything else, it's probably a crapshoot. It depends on how long people look at your blog, what kind of people are looking at your blog, what kind of blog you are up against, and what kind of content you are providing for the short time they are judging you.

I have lost to blogs that I thought I would beat, and I have beaten blogs I thought I would lose to. I have both won and lost to the same blog in different battles.

I vote on a lot of the battles too. There is a timer, and you have to be on each site for at least 20 seconds (which ain't much time) but there is no limit to how long you can peruse content. I try to give each blog a fair shake. If you vote a lot, though, it often does not take as long to vote because chances are you will be familiar with a lot of the blogs (many bloggers enter again and again and again).

True confessions: The only time I don't give a vote much thought is when one of my peeps is battling. If I see someone who is on my blogroll in a battle, I automatically vote for them, regardless of who they are up against. But chances are, if they are on my blogroll, then I like them enough to think they are the better blog anyway. Crazy Like a Fox, Kentucky Girl, Bloggo Chicago and The CanadianSwiss Blog are all peeps who get my vote whenever I see them on the board.

Well, actually, hard right republican blogs or preachy relgious blogs don't get my vote either, just on general principles. Hmm...perhaps I am not as impartial as I thought.

I have tried a couple of different strategies, but I can't discern any kind of winning pattern. I have tried to just post my own challenges and I have tried to pick and choose what challenges I accept. My best success rate has been against very inexperienced blog battlers who only put up 10 credits, but those battles can take the better part of a day to resolve because voters mostly want to vote on 80 or 120 or 200 credit battles because they'll get a bigger piece of the pie than if they voted on a 20 credit battle. And I don't want to be limited to 1 or maybe 2 battles a day.

But there must be something to it. There are some bloggers out there with awesome records. And there a lot with horrible records. The latter always makes me wonder why they keep fighting. If my record was 13-56 I'm pretty sure I would move on to something I was a little better at.

And sometimes my paranoia kicks in about some of these blogs with lofty records. Is the fix in somehow? Is there a secret cabal of bloggers involved in a conspiracy by which they all network and vote for each other to assure themselves of high winning percentages?

And if so, how do I join?

And then I am puzzled by some of the blogs that are entered. I have seen blogs entered where the author is on hiatus. If you need a break from blogging, why are you taking the time to enter you blog in Battle of the Blogs? Isn't the purpose of taking a break to take a break? And how successful are you going to be? If I see a blog entered that hasn't had a recent posting, why should I vote for it?

And then I wonder about a couple of blogs I have seen that deal with very serious issues. For example, there was a blog I saw that was entirely devoted to depression and its causes, treatments, etc. Pretty heavy stuff. That is definately a worthwhile topic to cover and I have no doubt that it provides education and a forum for those whom depression touches. But having said all that, why enter a blog like that into what is a pretty frivolous activity?

But maybe that's me. I'm a different breed of cat.

I'm going to start cutting back my time on the site, because it is affecting my ability to visit all my peeps on a regular basis. But while I'll be cutting out most of the surfing and voting, I'll probably still keep on battling.

Well, I gotta go. My manager is calling for me. It's almost time to go back out there.

*Ding Ding*

33 Comments:

Blogger Ms. M said...

Damn you Mr. F! Now I have to go check it out and I have no idea where I'm going to find the time to play!!!!! AAAAAH! One more vice to add to my list of many.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I don't need any more vices, dammit!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

8:52 AM  
Blogger June Cleaver's Revenge said...

How can you be #430 with them when you're #1 with us?

I'm going to have to go check that out.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I've never done the blog battle thing...I'm not sure I care enough though...I'm not that competitive I guess...lol

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Ms M. and Stacy--Don't do it! If you're like me you won't be able to stop! I need help...

June--Oh June, you flatter me. YOU are the one that makes the rest of us look like we're all standing still...

Mike--Be glad you don't have my special brand of OCD.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I would like to place $200 bet on Mr. Fab...

10:09 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I gotta tell you since I started battle of the blogs I have voted for you everytime. You are a very interesting read.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Hell, I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with the blogs on my blogroll already!!!

I think I will stick with the quality thing, rather than the quantity :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger kari said...

I will not visit.
I will not visit.
I will not visit.
I might take a look later.

12:04 PM  
Blogger zhadi said...

Jeez louise...I see that you wrote this post at 6:15AM, which certainly gives back-up to your blog about being a morning person...but I digress. I barely have time to write my own blogs and read the ones I like, let alone battle it out for supremacy with other bloggers. And now so many new blogs to check out from just reading the comments!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

I've never dont the battle of the blogs. Maybe I should check it out and see what it's about.

12:55 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I was so surprised when I saw my blogspot on there! But you know what? I love reading you and you're just plain damn entertaining. Dont give a f*ckin' shit about what any "counter" says.

Keep bloogin'. I'll read it and comment whenever I can.

2:23 PM  
Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

I AM LOST! :P

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

Oh, thank you. I'm now addicted to battle of the blogs. I'm voting for you right NOW.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Lori--I think you would be better off putting your dough in lottery tickets!

Valerie--Gosh, thanks, I appreciate it. But I don't think I'm always deserving of a win!

Chelle--I like think my blogroll has both. I just like too many of them!

Kari--Don't do it! Be strong!

Zhadi--I know. I am cursed with too much time on my hands.

CanadianSwiss--I'll try, but I've never blooged before. It sounds dirty! :)

Beady--It's OK. Lie down... :)

Heather--Oh no. Now I feel like a pusher. "First taste is free..."

3:23 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hmm, I might give it a try.
Thanks for adding another addiction to my list! ;-)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I've heard about it, and I've been tempted... but I understood that it was mostly a mad dash about blogs without really developing a strong relationship(s). I prefer getting to know a select few (though if you look at my blogroll you might question that! But it's true)...

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Caroline--I'm just the messenger! Don't blame me! LOL

Saur--I have actually stumbled upon some blogs I really like this way. I have to kiss a lot of frogs to get to a few princes, but hey, it keeps me off the streets

5:18 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I, too, am addicted. It just sort of happened, but I'm not doing as well as you are in the battles. Probably because I don't have your razor sharp wit. Or because my blog's pink. I think that drives the men away...

5:59 PM  
Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

I don't battle. I only vote in the battles. :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger cherish said...

Thank you for all the great information! I am off to check out the sites!

Happy St. Patrick's Day Mr. Fabulous.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

That picture of the boxing babies is cute and sad. Sad in a cute way? Cute in a sad way? :)

7:27 PM  
Anonymous B said...

Some people don't enter to win or lose, more or less it's just to get traffic. That's why you'll see all types of blogs enter into BOTB.

7:49 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

WOW! Competition! I hate that! I hated school and the exams, even if I was first almost all the time. (But very bad in sports) :) I disagree entirely with you for the first time!!!! YEAH! It's so cool!!!! But I still love you Mr Tiger... :)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Peter Porcupine said...

Well, I am one of those Republican blogs, and I'm going to vote for you anyway!

So there!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Erin--Well I LIKe pink. You'll always get my vote!

Rose-- I do a lot of that too! Got rack up the credits!

Cherish--Thanks! Happy St. Pats to you too!

Ivy--Either way works for me :)

B--Good point. I guess that makes sense.

MP--Does this mean you're not going to be on the softball team this year? :)

PP--There is room under my tent for everyone! LOL Thanks!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Crazy Like A Fox said...

Awww...I feel special. You always get my vote too.

BTW, I saw your review at IT2M, pretty good. Congratulations.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

Yep. You totally got me hooked on battle of the blogs. I did it once and won! I've been waiting for someone to battle and I almost accepted the battle with you just now. But I don't want to do that. I'll voe for ya.

Thanks a lot!! :)

12:04 AM  
Blogger Lady K said...

OH. MY. GOD. It's boggereality internet. It's made it. WAIT! I've posted pictures of things I've cooked! I'm being sucked in!

My Kingdom for a blogcookery show. OH Wait! There IS one on the bloom...

12:41 AM  
Blogger Mr Reasonable said...

Just had my first Blog Battle fix....just out of curiosity you understand. I didn't need to enter and I can stop anytime I want....I don't need it.....it's not like I have to enter....I am in control here, I can take it or leave it....I could turn off right now and never go back there....but maybe I'll just enter one more now, just a quick one.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Foxy--Thanks! Yeah, I just saw the review. I came out OK. Their points were valid.

Heather--I saw that, and voted for you. Now you're hooked...

Lady K--Resistance is futile...

Mr. Reasonable--No, I think you've got a monkey on your back!

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Kentucky Girl said...

Heh. I actually only battle occasionally. Not much into it...

Congrats on your wins! :)

2:39 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

I've been trying to launch a battle for two days - AND IT WON'T RECOGNISE MY CREDITS. Bloody thing mutter mutter.

I'll persist, and when I get there, watch out world.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.