My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Birthday Aftermath

Yeah…I think we all knew that I couldn’t skip a day posting something.

I am now basking in the joy and wonder of making it to 44 years old.

I am enjoying this new, relaxed attitude about my birthday. Usually at work, for example, I guard my date of birth like it was a nuclear code. But for those few who knew what day it was, and tiptoed in on little cat feet to wish me a happy birthday, I acknowledged and thanked them for their thoughtfulness. Which led them, emboldened, to tell other people, and soon everyone was wishing me a happy birthday. I think that’s just about the right level of birthday wishes I want at work. I would not want it to evolve into gifts or lunch because I would find that embarrassing. After all, my only real accomplishment yesterday was that I didn’t die in the previous 364 days.

And today the counter begins at 1 again.

I cajoled several people into guessing how old I was. I am happy to report that the guesses ranged from 32 (God bless Lori) to 39. I don’t really get it; I think I look my age. So it must be my personality and general attitude that throws them off. I am pretty sure I fool around and cut up a lot more than most men my age.

Of course, Laura, who is 23, kind of threw some cold water on me when, learning my age, exclaimed “Wow, you’re only one year younger than my mother!”

Thanks, Laura.

That gave me pause. I’m old enough to have a 23 year old child? That boggles my mind. Most days that’s about how old I feel—23. How can it be theoretically possible for me to the father of another fully formed adult? Oh well.

Dinner last night, of course, was my choice, so we drove over to Cross Creek and had an awesome meal at The Yearling Restaurant. In my opinion, The Yearling is the place to get the best prime rib in the area.

As usual, Mrs. Fab came through with the sweet sweet swag. I was forced to submit a list of things she could choose from, and I think instead she got it all. She’s a stubborn woman. My favorite gift, and the one I would have been happy to get even if I got nothing else, was a pair of professional photographs taken of her. One for my office and one to take on the road with me when I travel (the first thing I do when I get into my hotel room is set her picture up on the nightstand). All I had were pictures from back when we lived in South Carolina. So of course in the photos she’s got blacked out teeth, bird’s nest hair, and is wearing overalls. That’s the only kind of glamour shot you can get in rural South Carolina.

And, bless her heart, she had to take a whole day off to do it. We don’t have a Glamour Shots in Gainesville so she had to drive all the way up to Orange Park, spend a couple of hours up there, and then come back.

She’s something, ain’t she?

I also got Photoshop and Media Creator, some DVDs I had wanted, and some baseball books. I know that no one here cares about baseball, except for Ben, but the arrival of the new Baseball Prospectus fills me with both glee and joy. And that is a powerful combination. And I got a bunch of other stuff too. All in all, the best birthday ever!

I had to add the Photoshop and Media Creator to a pile of software that I call “Wanted it, got it, now gotta learn it when I get a chance”. I may have to just take an extra couple of weeks off to get up to speed on all the cool stuff I want to learn to do.

I’d like to thank all you guys for the warm birthday wishes, they really meant a lot and I sincerely appreciate it. Now I really would like to get you guys all together with some motor oil and ring tailed lemurs. Oh, and a badger for Dawn. And Ben would prefer a weasel. But he’s a Toronto Blue Jay fan, so you can’t reason with him. A lot of you guys seemed pretty excited about the proposed orgy, which I find very gratifying. I guess I’m gonna have to make it happen.

Maidink sent me a lovely birthday card, and Clo did the same. At least I think it was a birthday card that Clo sent. It was all in French, so it could have been a death threat for all I know. But it had a picture of a cute little puppy on it, so it was most likely the former. Unless…what she wrote was a warning that she was sending the cute puppy to rip out my throat. She has threatened to kill me before, you know. Slowly.

I guess I’ll just wait to see if the puppy shows up.

And Saur gave the gift of putting me on her blogroll. Always a thoughtful present!

Billy said he’ll be passing through my town next week. Billy, shoot me an email and let me know when. If I’m free we’ll definitely hook up and do some plundering and make a few scaliwags walk the plank.

That’s the first time I’ve ever used the word “scaliwag.”

It was a nice quiet day today. Mrs. Fab took her Professional Responsibilities exam over at UF in the morning, and then we saw 16 Blocks this afternoon. And we recently got back from Red Lobster. It’s Lobster Fest right now, you know. And good lobster bisque has been known to bring me to the brink of orgasm.

We’re going to the Plant City Strawberry Festival tomorrow, so I’m pretty pumped up about winning some stuffed animals after my dismal showing at the State Fair. We were flirting with the idea of going down this afternoon and catching a spring training game somewhere and then just staying over and going to Plant City from there tomorrow, but I checked the schedule and we would not have been able to get down in time for any of the games.

We might take a ride down next weekend.

Hey, Chris Pirillo! You out there, man?

Okay, time to kick back and do some surfing on BlogExplosion. I hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!

22 Comments:

Blogger Fantastagirl said...

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

Wow you got some awesome stuff - and sounds like you had some good food too!

Have a great night

9:11 PM  
Blogger The Wrath of Dawn said...

Dude. You just made another trip around the sun. That's cause for celebration.

Loose the badgers!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

Wow! Fabulous birthday...how appropriate! ;-)

Mrs. Fab did a wonderful job with the gifts.

You know what this means.....you gotta do as well IF NOT better than that for HER birthday! Start planning now!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Trinette said...

Sounds like you had a most fabulous birthday weekend, Mr. Fab!

I did the Glamour Shots thing once. Back in the early 90s...big hair, off the shoulder leather jacket, and WAY more makeup than I ever wear. Not one of my better moments, thus it is locked away in my cedar chest.

I'm sure Mrs. Fab's turned out most fabulous, though.

Geez, man, you're OLD! ;)

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Eric T. said...

Glad you enjoyed your Bday brother. Be patience with Photoshop, it takes a while to learn how to use it to it's full extent... I know from experience.

mmmmmmmmm Lobsterrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I'm so jealous...

Enjoy the Strawberry Festival!

11:21 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Ahhh! Photoshop! You will LOVE it... after 2 or 3 months Mwhahahahaha!!!! Then you are going to be able to do those glamorous shots all by yourself... Heh heh!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Fantastigirl--Yeah, but it was just a warm up for the REAL good food today--corn dogs, funnel cakes, and fried snickers bars. Oh yeah!

Dawn--I am lining up a bedger connection as we speak...

Pissy--Oh don't worry, I usually do right by the missus!

Trinette--She was uncomfortable with all the makeup too, she was afraid she looked like a hooker. But she's my hooker, dammit!

Eric and MP--Oh dear. You are not filling me with confidence. I don't have a lot of patience. I HOPE it's not hard to learn!

4:37 AM  
Anonymous dreamwalker said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful Bday.
The Strawberry Festival looks fantastic. You will be going on that roller coaster I presume?
:)

4:58 AM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

Hey MF (That is short for Mr. Fab in case you were wondering!)... Happy Belated B-day from your fellow insomniac!

I love ring-tailed lemurs... though it never had occured to me to love them *that* way. Hmmmm....

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Belle said...

Sounds like a great day!

I was never one to like my co-workers knowing when my birthday was so I always played sick that day!

5:35 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day, Mr. Fab. Great idea with the pro shots of Mrs. Fab.

I'm sure you'll love woring with Photoshop. It's my favourite software. I'm sure you'll learn enough in a short time to start experimenting with it. Fun thing is that you keep leaning about new features. Enjoy. If I can help, ust let me now. I'll do what I can :-)

11:01 AM  
Blogger CP said...

Um hello? Billy and you are getting together and leaving me out of it?

Alright, boys. I see how it is.

Fuckers.

Im not going to the strawberry fest this year. I am a little put off by the E coli outbreak of last year. *L* Instead, i will be at the greek fest in Tarpon. So there. Nyah.

BTW...I loved this line:

"After all, my only real accomplishment yesterday was that I didn’t die in the previous 364 days."

Brilliant.

CP.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Sounds like you had an awesome birthday!!! Great gifts, too! My hubby's BD is today (but he's in Germany *sigh*)and I'm so terrible with gifts for him, the Glamorshots is a great idea. I think I will do that for him. Now, if only he will like mine as much as you liked Mrs. Fabs :) (I'm sure he will hehe)

Again, I'm so happy you had a wonderful BD!!! :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

What a cool birthday, Dude! You did good. And I love the Glamor Shots idea of Mrs. Fab--and the oh-so-sweet thing you do when you travel with her photos. You rock!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Shannon said...

You are a softie at heart. Quit trying to deny it.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

You sure know how to celebrate a birthday!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday. I, too, got Photoshop yesterday. I bet we'll be commiserating over the learning curve soon. I'm glad you had a good day.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Dreamwalker--Oh no, no rollercoasters for this boy!

Shoo Shoo--You know my policy: any kind of love is beautiful love...

Belle--Always nice to meet a fellow curmudgeon!

CanadianSwiss--Uh oh, NOW you've done it. Call from me, night at day, needing help, with no regard for the time difference LOL

CP--Oh man, the Greek Festival! I love that? I missed it? Damn!

Chelle--Now come on! There is no way you can take a bad picture!

Ginnie and Shannon--I know. I'm a romantic at heart. Don't tell anyone...

Dixie--Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty!

Erin--Let's form a support group!

6:48 PM  
Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Sounds like you had a kick ass birthday!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

I can totally tell you how to make those "Cheddar Bay Biscuits" with only 6 ingredients.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Clo said...

ROTFLOLAHAHA! (Means of course: Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud And Having A Heart Attack!)
Don't worry, it was a Happy Birthday card... and it was not in french but in english!

Didn't you liked my typical dixie accent?

12:46 AM  
Blogger Lockergnome said...

Could be. ;)

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.