My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Bloggy Things...

For those of you who were continually frustrated by my Bloglet subscription service not working, I've signed up with a different company, Notifylist.com. The subscription form is on my sidebar. We'll see if this works any better.
I am not ready to make the big move yet, to the .com with a new template (although I have purchased the domain name) but I have been weighing a move to Haloscan for my comments. My question is, if I switch over, do I lose all the blogger comments? I thought I read somewhere that I would. Does anyone know? Those of you who have Haloscan, do you prefer it?

Barb from Bloggo Chicago heartily endorses Wordpress over Blogger. Does anyone else use Wordpress? If so, do you echo Barb's sentiments? Obviously if I am going to make a move I need to decide before I commission a new template.

I am up to Flippery Fish in the TTLB Ecosystem (see sidebar) which is nice, but I really want to be a Large Mammal. Because, you know, I actually am a large mammal. But I know I will never get there, so I think I am willing to settle for Flappy Bird. Hopefully one day... You know, if more of you guys that already link to me would sign up to be in the Ecosystem, I could one day make to Flappy Bird. Don't you want to see me flap my pretty little wings?

Speaking of links, I don't do straight up link exchanges for no reason, I have too much respect for my blogroll for that. However, if you regularly read my blog and you've got me linked and I either haven't been to your blog, or I have been but didn't notice, please let me know. I'll check you out, and if I like your style (and if you like mine, chances are we're pretty simpatico) I'll link you. I've missed a few people like this lately and I always feel bad for the oversight.


Also I am pretty excited about cracking the 300 barrier in Battle of the Blogs on BlogExplosion. I am currently # 283. Although in the interests of full disclosure, I don't take on all comers. I'm like Rocky's manager, I pick and choose my opponents for the most part. I wait until I see a battle posted by a blog I think I can beat, or that has a losing record, and I claim it. Hey, that's what the lions do. They don't go after the healthy gazelles and wildabeasts. They pick off the sick, old, and weak. Law of the jungle, baby!



Speaking of BlogExplosion, those of you that either rent space on your blog to others, or rent yourselves, how is that working out for you? I've been kicking around the idea. I just won a bid to have my blog rented out on Fickle Chick. It's my first time. That's right, I'm a virgin. We'll see how it goes. I tried to pick someone that A) could prove a track record of providing a lot of hits, and B) seemed to operate outside the circle of blogdom I usually operate in. We'll see.
Has anyone tried BlogMad? I have been hearing a lot of buzz about it. Like a bunch of other things, I've signed up for it but haven't looked into it yet. I don't know why it takes me so long to get around to doing these things. I think I had been signed up with BlogExplosion for months before I explored it. Same with BlogShares.



Although, I don't really know why I am seeking more traffic. All that will lead to is finding more blogs I like, which would expand my blogroll, which would mean I would have to go part time at work in order to keep up with them all.

No good can come of this.

And hey, if you haven't signed my guestmap, please do so. This is something else that I don't know why I care about it. I just do. Hey, it's my own special brand of mental illness. Dammit.


So much to think about. Well, I'm off to help man a March of Dimes spirit booth this morning. Gotta get started early. I'm gonna be a cowboy! I hope y'all have a great weekend!

Reminder: you still have until Sunday evening to post a question for Mrs. Fab. I'll post her responses on Monday morning.

17 Comments:

Blogger Blogarita said...

ou know, if more of you guys that already link to me would sign up to be in the Ecosystem, I could one day make to Flappy Bird. Don't you want to see me flap my pretty little wings?

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me.

5:36 AM  
Blogger threecollie said...

Morning Mr. Fab.
As we discussed on IYT, I like Blog Mad. The one for one hit exchange is nice and many people referred by that site seem to stay for a while and do several page views. It is so nice to know someone is reading rather than just clicking on by.They also are VERY generous with free credits. I have gotten as many as 92 at a time just for surfing.

6:10 AM  
Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

YEEEE HAAWW!! Save a horse ride a cowboy..heehee Have fun today!! :)
I will sign your map thingee..

7:38 AM  
Blogger Leanne said...

You're renting over at Ficklechick, that's how I landed here, now I hafta answer a few questions.

If you use haloscan for comments and eventually move to your own domain and blogging platform, you will lose those comments. You will retain your blogger comments, and with the latest version of Wordpress, you can import both your blogger entries and comments.

Yes, Wordpress rocks. There's nothing better than owning your own domain and blogging on your own time, uploading photos to your own server and never blinking twice about downtime or maintenance. (Unless your host is down, which is a rare occurance for most hosts.)

Another perk about WP, plugins. Oodles of 'em. Tons. You can do everything without having all these extra things you're talking about - like notifylist.com - it's moot because WP has a few subscription plugins, one for just comments on individual posts, one for the whole blog - you get the idea. It all runs on your own server and domain. Which means you're in charge, not Blogger.

Just in case you were wondering, I dumped blogger 2 years ago, so I am speak from experience. I'm also not being paid for this endorsement! It's all true! :D

Happy Blogging, have a good weekend!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Spider Walk said...

Good Morning Fab,
I don't have any experience with any other blogs so I don't have any advice to share.
It's good that you ponder and think things over. A blog should be taken seriously!

I hope things go well with your booth today.

Ride a horse, save a cowboy..
WOoOT WoOT!!

Hahahaaa---I see beadinggal already said that...great minds thing alike ;)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

If a blog is too hard to comment on, I skip it. Haloscan makes you leave your URL and all... I say keep it simple. (But that's just me).. I think you have tons of traffic...and a great following now.

My question for Mrs. Fabulous will be....

What is the one thing that Mr. Fabulous does that you simply adore (But he has no clue about).

Have a great weekend! =)

10:23 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

WOW!
U sure do like to keep abreast of things! I'm jealous, wish I had more time! I haven't heard of many of these b4.
:)

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Sheryl said...

I've heard a lot of great things about Movable Type. Yes you do lose your comments switching from blogger.

Q. for the Mrs: What's it like to live with someone who has an IQ of 190?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Blogarita--No love from Blogaritaville...

ThreeCollie--I'm planning on checking it out tonight :)

Beady--Yipee Kiyayyyyyy

Leanne--Ooh, I may have more questions for you, if that's ok...

Spider Walk--I'm gonna have to charge for these rides...

Shannon--Decisions, decisions...

Starbender--It's called not having a life LOL

Sheyrl--I think tacked on a zero you didn't mean to LOL

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

I love wordpress. I recently moved from movabletype to wordpress. Wordpress is very user friendly and there are tons of options with the themes (which you can edit to your liking) If you go to http://wordpress.com/ you can get a free wordpress blog (like blogger). You can't really get your own template on the free wordpress blogs, but it will give you an idea of what the wordpress dashboard is like.

In other words - I strongly recommend wordpress. It has a lot of cool options (like creating pages, catagories, and password protected posts) and a ton of cool plugins you can add, and it's all very easy to do.

I like haloscan. I've never used them on my blog, but I like when other people use them because you can do the gravatar thing.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

fabbie ~ don't move...ride the storm out. blogger is probably going through some changes, i.e., IT turnover. I know I can speak for others when I say "UGH! Fucking BLOGGER!"

My question for Mrs. Fabulous is: What made you fall in love with him, and what keeps you loving him? (okay, I guess that's TWO questions....)

2:26 AM  
Blogger Lady K said...

P.S. Mr. Fab!!! Had to change my URL a piece back. Long story, but found out, even THAT doesn't keep people from fucking with you thru your ip address. Mean people suck.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Serra said...

I really prefer BlogMad over BE...in fact I'm about to scrap all the space on my blog that BE takes and use some for BlogMad.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Heather and Lady L--I dont know who to listen to! I--I--I'm so confused!

Lady K--No one is screwing with me, I just liked the thought of having my own domain name. mean people DO suck, though!

Serra--I did some surfing last night and was pretty impressed with BlogMad...

10:50 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I've heard of a lot of the things you mentioned, but I've never taken the time to check 'em out.

I will say that I'm not crazy about haloscan comments. But if I like a blog enough, I'll leave a comment anyway.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Leanne said...

Mr. F, if you have more questions I'd be happy to answer them for you - I've been tossing around the idea of detailing out the perks on my own blog. One of these days... Until then, if you're in serious negotiations with yourself, I'll be glad to moderate, mediate, meditate, or all of the above. I have experience with MT as well, so I can give you the pros & cons. :)

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Summer said...

I use Wordpress, and I have to say it is a superior product than blogger. Plus WP v2 has an import feature now; you can import your blogger posts into the wordpress database.

And I have a subscription plugin with Wordpress.

AND wordpress supports registration and comment moderation. It's the bomb.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.