My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Larry!

Those of you who remember my accounting of the half marathon last month (or, as I like to refer to it, the Trail of Tears) will remember Larry, the homeless guy who walked the whole 13+ miles with our team.

I had been hoping that someone had a picture of Larry, and sure enough, Christine did.

I am sure that a few of you out there had been wondering if Larry had been a figment of my imagination, thinking perhaps that the arduous journey had caused me to begin hallucinating.

Not so.

And we have found out that Larry is not homeless after all. He lives in some old trailer in the SW section of town. Although he seems to still wear the same thing every day.

How do I know this? Because he has been back.

Not to my office, thankfully, but to Christine's, over at the branch. He really wanted one of our LifeSouth hats, but we didn't have any, so Christine gave him a T-shirt. I eventually found him a hat, so he came back this week and got that. And now he wants to volunteer for us, so Christine is going to find him something to do.

Christine has a good heart. I keep trying to convince her to be more like me, but it is no use.

Ah, Larry's a good guy. It's good to have him on the team.

16 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

You know what amazes me? Seems like some of the people who aren't as well off as some of us are more willing to go the extra mile for the people who are better off. Great folks, if you ask me.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Absolutely! He said he feels bad because he can't donate, yet he comes by and eats our juice and cookies. He's a good guy.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I agree with Mike... I work for an organization that heavily relies on donations and volunteers ... Our best volunteers are the ones that can barely put food on the table, but they are always willing to help out...I {heart} them!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I'm so glad to see that there are still people in the world who understand that just because a dude is down on his luck or maybe a little different than we are... he still may be a good person inside.
You are one of them wonderful people that can see beyond the material things... I wish there were more of you out there.

11:16 AM  
Blogger kari said...

That's so awesome! Including him is a wonderful thing to do. He may be very lonely and now he won't be.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

You guys all said best...I can only agree!! Larry rocks :)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Fantastigirl--That is true! I think is because they can more readily identify with the need because of their own situation.

Sherry--See? I'm not such a bad guy after all!

Kari--Oh, I doubt he's lonely. Larry gets around town more than I do!

Chelle--Three cheers for Larry!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

hahaha, I can't keep up with your posts!! ;)

Good for Larry.... ;)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Clo said...

Tell Larry he's cute!
And ask him if his sneaker is still untied... :O)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Rebecca--I HAVE been prolific lately. I better slow down before I run out of things to say!

Clo--Want me to see if he's available? Are you interested? :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I love the picture of Larry! You should post one while he's volunteering, too!

Just so we can keep up with him ;-)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Clo said...

Wait! Let me check again the pic.....................
Hey! Can you tell me why the Stop sign isn't red?
*avoiding the question* *blushing* *blinking 3 times* *growing smaller* *disapearing*

9:04 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I love stories like this! Makes you realize Life is so much more than what we see.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Pissy--I'm sure there will plenty of photo ops for Larry!

Clo--Are you getting enough oxygen, my friend? :)

Ginnie--So true! And it's all out there!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Clo said...

*sound like a little bee*
Yeszzz, I'm ok!
But I'm zo zmall I could go in your pocket! Hey, may I come withz you to Atlanta? I'd love to meet Ginnie!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I swear I have seen this guy around my town. He gets around!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.