My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Odd night out...

A few of us at work decided it would be fun to go out last night and have dinner and go do karaoke. So we picked a Korean BBQ place in town that catered to the karaoke crowd. None of us had ever been there before.

There was quite a lot of confusion when it came to ordering entrees. Perhaps a language barrier on the part of the Korean hostess, and an IQ problem when it came to the American server, but it took an awful long time to get our orders in, and then for the food to come. First they were out of some stuff, then they weren't, then they made too much...it was all quite baffling. The food was good, but everything leading up to getting it was a pain. And everything afterwards too, because it took what seemed like thirty minutes to get and pay our checks. We all had separate checks, and I think she rang them all up together, and then they had to split them up again and re-ring them...or something.

The karaoke, it was explained to us, was next door. We kept wondering why we didn't hear any music coming through the wall.

We found out when we went over there. It was not a bar with a stage and a crowd of people. It was separate rooms. As we were led down the hall I wasn't sure if I was going to do a solo or get a lap dance once we opened the door.

Remember that scene in Lost In Translation when Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanson are doing karaoke with some Japanese in a little room? That's what it was like.

It was just us in semi-dark room, with benches three quarters around the room, with the karaoke machine up front.

We just looked at each other. We nearly bailed. But then we decided to go for it.

Christine sang first, then David, then me. Then three of our party bailed. Gee, I hope it wasn't my singing.

So it ended up the five of us, Christine, Jason, David, Amanda, and me. And we had a pretty good time after all, singing and making fools of ourselves.

Amanda did a kick ass version of Eminem's Cleaning Out My Closet.

I sang Cousin Dupree, Born to Run, and, for the cheese factor, Copacabana. And I did a duet with Amanda on Eye of the Tiger. Who knew it could be a duet?

So we had fun. And with a bare minimum of alcohol involved.

In the end, the only troubling aspect was that everything was sticky. The mike was sticky, the songbooks were sticky, the tambourines were sticky.

I know what you're thinking. I'm not going there.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, you gotta make your own fun, dammit!

I guess.

8 Comments:

Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Sounds like a fun night out!!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I love kareoke (sp?) with a bunch of silly people! so fun!

it's the people who take themselves seriously that we end up making the most fun of....

I guess we're just bitches that way.

Glad you had a good time and that you and Amanda are cool again. ;-)

10:33 AM  
Blogger KB said...

Pissy loves karoake and I love Korean!

Hey pissy wanna' meet up at this place or what? ;-)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Trinette said...

5 things I will never do:

Sing in front of other people. (x5)

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Belle said...

Korean BBQ...what kind of dog meat is that again?! Just kidding, I've never tried it, I'm sure it's good.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Bead--It really was!

Pissy--Oh, Amanda is always cool. I think I gave people the wrong idea last week :)

KB--It's settled! Blogger karaoke party at the Korean BBQ!

Trinette--Oh, come on! We'll do a duet!

Belle--I think it's cat, actually. A little chewy.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous elliemae said...

We did have a great time. I think it was definitely well fed cat in the Korean Barbecue because it tasted "fishy." We'll have to do it again soon. What Mr. Fabulous left out was that the men were wearing thongs and cowboy hats...

9:36 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Ellie Mae has been obsessing about thongs and cowboy hats ever since I talked about doing the half marathon dressed like that...

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.