My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Womenfolk, The Sunshine State, and The Great White North

For your consideration:

Another of the questions that occurred to me as I was doing all that cruising through BlogExplosion last week, is how blogdom breaksdown percentage-wise between men and women.

I didn’t keep track, but in general it seemed that there were more blogs written by women than men. Off the top of my head and to the best of my recollection, it seemed about a 60/40 split. But that’s just my perception.

Have you guys found that to be the case?

I was discussing this briefly with someone (Belinda?) in a series of emails about men vs. women bloggers and she advanced the theory that men tend to blog about more serious stuff like current events and politics, or sports while women tend to blog more about life. I don’t know if that is the case or not, but it probably makes sense.

What I do know, looking at my blogroll, is that it runs about 90/10 in favor of women. Now by and large I enjoy blogs that are humorous/entertaining/witty/perceptive/fun. So, are women more likely to have those qualities? I certainly didn’t set out to have a blogroll that was 90% women. I just choose writing I like and people I find interesting.

Although, in general, I think I relate better to women than men. I know I work better with women. Always have.

Curious.

Also curious is that the state that is easily most represented is Florida. And again, I didn’t set out looking for Florida blogs. It just happened. Several states are more populous than Florida. You would think that based on the odds and the hundreds of blogs I’ve perused that California, New York, or Texas would be most heavily represented:

California 34 million people
Texas 21 million people
New York 18 million people
Florida 16 million people

But it’s not even close.

Now the Canada question is even more puzzling. My blogroll has a lot of Canadian bloggers on it. Including one or two Canadian natives that live in the US or abroad, I think I have somewhere between 10-12 Canadians on my blogroll, which is about 15% of my blogroll. This despite the fact that there are fewer people living in Canada than there are in California alone.


Do Canadians have more highly developed senses of humor than people in other countries? Why? Is it the cold weather? Do they spend the winter holed up in their igloos practicing their witty repartee and playful banter? Is it all the Molsen and backbacon? Eh?

So I guess we can draw three conclusions from all this:

1. Women, by and large, are wittier and more interesting than men
2. Florida has more cool people than any other state in the union
3. Canadians rock!

I should have been a social scientist. Maybe I should write a book.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Heather said...

I'll have to pay more attention. You're right though. You're the only male blogger on my links list. I don't think I have any Canadians and I'm not sure how many people from Florida. I know I don't have any Ohioans, there doesn't seem to be many Ohio bloggers. Interesting.

6:33 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

That's really interesting, mostly because 2/3 of your conclusions apply to me. Uhm. Make that 3/4... My dad has a "winter house" in Florida. Does that count? :-)

So, to your conclusions:
1)Maybe, but I still prefer witty men ;-)
2)Can't judge that one.
3) Definitely!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Heather--Well, I'm the only male blogger you need on your links LOL. That's not true, by the way. That's just my whacky sense of humor.

CanadianSwiss--Hmmm...we can maybe count that. Although it seems like most Canadians have a winter house in Florida, judging by all the Canadian license plates I see all the time...

7:13 AM  
Blogger Jozee said...

I have a huge cluster of lurkers on my blog map just about over Ohio.
Who the heck are they?

All the male bloggers are at one particular woman's site which is quite risque.

I do apologize if anyone opened her link off my blog at work...

7:51 AM  
Blogger Trinette said...

Well, it could be that there is no science behind your social science and that it's just a fluke.

Or maybe you do have something.

Although, in general, I think I relate better to women than men. I know I work better with women. Always have.

I have a few close female friends, but in general, I relate to men better. It shows in my current (albeit somewhat short) blog roll in a ratio of 4:1.

And like you, most of them are in or near my homestate, but not were not intentionally chosen because of it. Subconsciously, maybe...I think we like being able to think "hey, I know where that is!" when we read their posts.

Philosophical, huh?

8:18 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

From one very cool Floridian to another....you are just FRIGGIN' BRILLIANT!!!

;)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Jozee--Ooh, I must have missed that link. I'll hace to check it out...when I get home!

Maybe Ohio is the lurker state. I need to get more people to sign my map...

Trinette--Yes, but I expect such deep thinking from you! Although I would still need to find the blog interesting to read it regularly, even if the blogger lived next door to me.

Ooh, that's a scary thought.

Stacy--Brilliant? Thanks, but I don't really think so. But you're sweet to say it!

8:31 AM  
Blogger June Cleaver's Revenge said...

I think there are more women bloggers because more women knit, and no one would listen to them talk about something that dull in real life, so they have to write about it.

*yawn*

8:36 AM  
Blogger Blogarita said...

Do Canadians have more highly developed senses of humor than people in other countries?

Of course they do! Haven't you ever seen The Red Green Show?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I've definitely noticed the female to male percentage on the blogs too, it is interesting to say the least.

And I also find it amazing that a good percentage I interact with are from Florida and Canada.

I think it has to be a content issue.

9:37 AM  
Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

I feel like I am the lonely Mississippi blogger. I try to keep my blog funny and interesting. I will have to see how many men & women is on my blog roll. I think there is more women. Also see where they are all from. I know I have 3 from Fl. :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger CeCe said...

Of COURSE we're awesome!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Plunky said...

Hmm, good post! I believe you are one of five(or six? not sure if Beautiful is a man or woman) men on my blogroll. One is like you, witty,fun and straight, two are witty, fun and gay and the other, well, is Matt Drudge. I like me boys but I do have mostly women.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

Oh, you're totally the only male blogger I need on my links page. You are fabulous, after all!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

June--Hey I knit! No that's not true. Well, I knit my brow sometimes...

Blogarita--The extent of my knowledge of Canada is Bob and Doug McKenzie :)

Beady--Yep. It's just you and the catfish farms over there!

Cece--Was there ever any doubt? :)

Deb--What makes you think I'm straight? :)

Heather--You're pretty fabulous yourself, girl!

4:56 PM  
Blogger zhadi said...

I'm sorry, Mr. Fab, but Florida has a Bush in charge. That subtracts cool points. Of course...we have Arnold. So I'll just shut up now and go drink some nice red wine...

5:21 PM  
Blogger Anne R. Key said...

Smooches to ya, ya big sweetie.

Do I taste like Molson's? ;-)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Canadians DO rock! :)

12:06 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Zhadi--Hey, I didn't vote for him!

Anne--A little bit. And, oddly, a little like moon pies...

Chelle--I knew you would agree!

3:04 AM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

WOW! When I was in Florida, I was really cool! (Woman-Canadian-in Florida) JOKE! Do you understand it... OK A woman is cool and so is a......Oki oki I STOP!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Belinda said...

I have several men on my blogroll, but not anywhere near the number of women. I find men's blogs to be focused, "niche" blogs. They are "about" something, and stick to it. Parenting, humor, politics, TECH STUFF, etc. Whereas the women bloggers that I adore will blog about whatever crosses their path, so it's more like a diary. And I love that. There are exceptions, of course. The male bloggers who I read who fall into the "potpourri" category and are unfailingly funny and insightful are:
Mr. Fabulous
Dave at Blogography
Pauly D. at Words for My Enjoyment
Greg at Geese Aplenty
Dave at Davezilla
Matthew at Defective Yeti
Dave at Utenzi
Kevin at Kapgar.com

If you've missed out on any of these, hit my blogroll and check them out. You won't be sorry.

Why is there such a preponderance of Daves? In women, there seem to be a great many jess/jessicas on my list, and not a few Erins.

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.