My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Most neurotic landlord EVER (and lots of other news)

Lots of links to other bloggers in this post. Quite frankly, I'm exhausted. Pack a lunch for this post. If you make it all the way through, including guest posts, there's a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie in it for you.

It was time to be a landlord again. So the first question was how much to charge, and the second question was who to rent to.

I had done, quite frankly, an awesome job for Cat of Living with Multiple Personalities fame. The stats were excellent, for which I had charged 100 credits. I had worked like a dog to promote that Cat.

Pardon me while I chuckle over that last sentence (giggle). How do I come up with this stuff?

Anyway, I set my price at 175 credits and I listed my place for rent again. I received three offers. They were from Casual Slack, All-Night.org. and Meltwater. Torrents. Meanderings. Delta. I know B from All Night, and I know Matt from MTMD. I didn't know Jen from Casual Slack, but I have quickly become a fan.

By the way, if you want to see the guest post I did for Matt yesterday click here. It's all about what a bold, daring, man of adventure I am. Don't snicker. I hear snickering!

Anyway, while I was agonizing over who to pick among the three, because they are all awesome blogs, I got an email from a dear, dear friend of mine (I'm hoping that second "dear" will keep her from kicking my ass). This was the same dear friend who took me to task on the audioblogs and thought my time might be better spent blogging more about anal rape. Let's call her Anal Rape Girl, or ARG for short.

Did I mention she is a dear, dear friend? I do that because she knows where I live.

Anyway, she took me to task again. This time for charging 175 credits. She thought I was greedy. Well, she was wrong about that. But she was right about a lot of other things. She did a Jewish guilt number on me like you wouldn't believe.

I hate it when she is right. Well, she wasn't right about everything. But what I took away from the conversation with ARG is this: I should use the relative popularity of my blog to promote lesser known blogs who are I feel are deserving of a wider readership.

So I cancelled that offer. Which is where my apology to B, Jen, and Matt comes in. And I created a new offer, and only charged 10 credits, so everyone could afford it, not just us big shots who play BOTB all day. And I received a flood of offers. Some blogs I knew, some I didn't. I meant to change my offer message to make it clear exactly what I was looking for, but I forgot.

Then I cursed ARG, because now I had 30 to try to pick from, rather than 3. What the heck was I gonna do?

Then, after I thought I had made a decision, I forgot that the bids people put in expire after 24 hours. The next time I checked, half the bids had expired, including the one from the blog I was going to choose. Dammit! This was becoming quite an ordeal!

So I cancelled the offer again. I apologize to everyone who bid. I love you all, even those I don't know yet. Can I offer you a complimentary lemur?

Before I go to work this morning, I am going to load up another offer. This time I'll try not to screw it up. Here is my offer message:

I am looking to promote funny and/or interesting sites that deserve wider readership, that's why I charge the minimum. No heavy hitters please. This is my version of performing community service :)

And when I get home tonight I'll pick one. No offer will expire. And tomorrow I will have a new tenant and will post a big hearty welcome.

Plus by only charging 10 credits? I don't have to work as hard. Hee hee.

Just kidding.

My friend Tricia, whom I love (I'm renting from her this week) sent me this awesome picture of a big ole pile of lemurs in a hot furry lovefest, but stupid Blogger won't let me post the picture. I hope these sort of issues will be taken care of when I make the move to Wordpress.

Plus my friend Monique from the very cool named When We Were Liars, Things Were Seemless sent me this link to hot breaking lemur news. I am basking in the lemur love from my fellow bloggers!

By the way, work is progressing on the new template. I have approved the header. Both Mrs. Fab and Shelli have said they liked it. So we must be doing something right.

Oh yeah, before I forget. I have still been doing my Saturday guest posts for Jin, but I haven't mentioned them because they have been a little dark and a little personal. But what the hell. I think I am going to become a little more open on this site anyway, so if you want to read them you can do so here and here.

This guest posting is becoming quite a little side project for me. I am going to ask Calista to create a page for me on the new site where I can list them all.

I am thinking about exporting some audio posts. I get so many request for them, mostly from agoraphobes, shut-ins, and the mentally ill, I assume. I get too many requests to post on my own site, frankly. But here is what I will do:

If Dawn wants me to sing Shania Twain's Man, I Feel Like a Woman or Katt wants me to scream out a battle cry of Mooooooooood Nippppppples! I will be happy to do it for you and send the html to you so you can post it on your own blog or use it however you want. I think it might only work if you blog through Blogger though, although I could be wrong about that. There may be a way to post it through other platforms, but I don't know what they are.

I am hoping that next weekend I can get that software up and running where I don't have to sing acapella.

Okay, I think everyone is up to date. I am still working on being all I can be with my new PDA. It's gonna be a bumpy ride. There is this whole thing where I need to sync up the PDA with my computer...very confusing. I'll get there eventually.

Oh, and you may have noticed that the food sections of the blogroll are no more. It is the first step in my move from Blogrolling to Bloglines. I used to break it up to keep better track of how I was keeping up with everyone's blogs. But thanks to my sister I have been turned on to the superior tracking ability of Bloglines, and I'm not looking back.

Okay, it's a new week people! Let's be careful out there!

48 Comments:

Blogger Bluepaintred said...

yea PFFFFFTTTT i didnt see my name linked!

oh well i have better shoes then you anyway ~ you are just jealous!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I read it all.

Where are my warm cookies?!?!?

10:51 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

You stole my idea from last Friday. I offered cookies to whoever reached the bottom of my post. Copycat!

I don't have to rent from you because you usually link me every post! Mwwaaah, big brother! Love you!

You won't have the picture posting problem (how's that for alliteration) when you jump the blogger boat and come aboard the WordPress ship. You will be so happy that you left the stinking (I can't really say sinking because they are still doing quite well, I think) BB.

You can post audioblogger posts on WordPress. Remember, Fab, I did that? You sent me the code and I posted it into my archives. It works.

The guest posts? I will start with the oldest one first, on Jin's site: Amazing, moving, caring, loving, touching and definitely heartfelt. The second one on Jin's site: I am here for you, my brother, always. The last one: hilarious. I have a new appreciation for the heroics of of your job.

You better watch out how much you tell people how great I am or they will stop reading you and only read my blog. :P

11:38 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Holy shit that was a long comment. Well what did you expect with a post like that!?

11:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

too long...sorry. I'm here to read about you, and your dialogue with the Mrs. you know!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I was one of the bidders. You're going to have to turn down a lot of people, you know. And a lemur's all you can offer up as a consolation prize? Hmph. Oh wait, I remember, chocolate chip cookies. All's well, then. Turning people down is why I don't rent out my blog anymore. I felt guilty about it.

1:15 AM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

I'll take the chocolate chip cookie now, pass on the complimentary lemur for now (don't really know what to do with that)

3:56 AM  
Blogger Kentucky Girl said...

*drool* Wait, where am I? How did I get here? Ooooh yeah...I was reading Mr. Fab's blog when I fell asleep. heh

ANYway, I only charge 10 credits now, but I'm thinking of giving it up as I'm just not enjoying renting anymore. Bleh.

I can't WAIT to see the new site! :D

4:13 AM  
Blogger Kentucky Girl said...

Nevermind, I saw it. :D Looking good! I like it...hehehe

4:15 AM  
Blogger Dick Small said...

I just love that Jen! She has such a cute profile photo.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Big Sister said...

Okay, the REAL Big Sis (and you know who this is) here is kinda' peeved that you didn't allow her the privilege of approving your header.

And where's your damn cell phone number? I'm gonna' text you 'til the cows come home.

Big Sister is watching you, you lemur-loving fruitcake!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Bluepaintred--Oh believe me, that day is coming! LOL

Pissy--Cookies? Plural? Who said anything about plural? :)

Shelli--OMG sis, you're right. Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you know! How about a hand for my sister, ladies and gentlemen? My biggest fan!

Lorraine--I actually have several of those posts. They are stacking up...

Erin--You and I share that guilt my friend. I don't know how often I'm going to do it. But if I can help promote good sites..

Dutchy--Don't play coy with me. You are no stranger to lemur love! I know what it's like there in Holland!

Kentucky Girl--You saw it? How did you see it? Are you a spy, like Dick?

Dick--What's wrong with MY profile photo?

Big Sister--Hmm....you could be one of a couple of people...but I'm not sure which one...

6:59 AM  
Blogger Pud said...

I read your entire post. I want a cookie now. Where is it?

Since you like being a guest blogger, would you like to write Athena on my blog sometime?

7:34 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

175 is a bit much. 10 is a hell of a deal. You are so just and fair ;)

When do I get my cookie? I havent had breakfast yet.

7:38 AM  
Blogger kattbanjo said...

I am SO non savy I don't even know what you are talking about! Blog renting? Guest blogs? Bidding? I think my brain just exploded! I got excited just finally figuring out how to add links to my sidebar!
I just come here for the laughs, baby!
Where were cookies metioned? Damn, I didn't get that either! I'm going for second cup of coffee, then will reread!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Dick Small said...

Your photo's cute also. You're beautiful!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I want donuts instead of cookies...can that be arranged? :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Finn said...

Is there a complaint box? Nevermind I'll just list them here:

1. There are no cookies. You're lucky I can't have PMS anymore.

2. I don't see my name mentioned anywhere in this post. I'm sure this is just an oversight and will be shortly corrected.

3. This was a long, long post. How am I supposed to read this at work when it's so long?

Restitution can be made in cash or with an iTunes gift card. Thank you for you time. ;)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

well I hope you realise I am more then a bit scared of that FABio

9:42 AM  
Blogger ❉ pixie ❉ said...

Wow. I ate almost my entire bowl of oatmeal reading this one.

10:19 AM  
Blogger ❉ pixie ❉ said...

Oh yeah, and the audioblog thing? When you play it, it's an mp3 file. I'd imagine if you right-clicked (control-click for us Mac-ites) you could save it and post it elsewhere.

10:21 AM  
Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Where is my cookie?? I read all of your post honestly I did! Ask me a question about it and I will answer correctly. Can I have some milk with my cookie???

11:00 AM  
Blogger ❉ pixie ❉ said...

I want a cookie too! I even commented on your office adventures post over on Matt's blog. I'm awesome.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

I want my cookie. *stomps foot*

How about a promotion of naughty but nice sites. ;)

12:36 PM  
Blogger speckledpup said...

kisses dear bro.

Mondays suck.
Just thought I'd tell ya in case you didn't already know.

The Pup.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I have a blog site that deserves wide readership. However, I don't know how funny/interesting it is. It isn't linked to this account, because I have my personal blog on this account, and it is a long story. (lauriannes-hope.blogspot.com)

But I don't know what this credits thing is? In fact, I am not sure I 100% know what you are talking about.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Lynda (Laurianne's Sister) said...

And where is my cookies? Me love cookies!

2:57 PM  
Blogger ❉ pixie ❉ said...

Oh man, I just saw your up in a BotB. If my account was active, I'd totally vote for you.

3:04 PM  
Blogger michele said...

Allright i read it all,
very interesting.Now where's
my warm cookie,i'm hungry.

3:13 PM  
Blogger ablondeblogger said...

I haven't rented in awhile, but when I did, I was a high rent mistress. I figure if there were people willing to spend that much, why not charge that much?

But, I think you have a good point about using it as a tool to promote lesser-known blogs.

I LOVE your idea of letting me post your audio blog on my blog. Oh my gosh, my readers will LOVE it!!!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Can I just have a cookie pretty please with a cherry on top?

4:03 PM  
Blogger zhadi said...

Chocolate chip cookie. Now please!

4:17 PM  
Blogger zhadi said...

And yeah, what the heck is a credit, other than currency used on Star Trek?

4:19 PM  
Blogger Bellarosa said...

I hopr you are still baking cookies because it is time for mine.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Big Sister said...

I'm the one who wants to torture, terrorize and beat the dickens out of you like any big sister wants to do to her younger siblings, lol. Ring any bells now?! lol

6:16 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

OMG! You whore! You were supposed to let me know when you went up for rent!! WHORE! WHORE! WHORE!

Hope your weekend was boring compared to mine, you whore! :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Pud--I would be honored :

Dick--Are you hitting on me?

Megan 1. You can't prove there are no cookies

2. Your name was implied.

3. Quit.

4. I can offer you a spreadsheet of my iTunes library and I can make copies of what you want :)

Lynda--I agree about your blog!

ABB--Is that a request? :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Just wanted to say hi. It's always so hard to choose from the bids, but I try to be totally random when choosing. Good luck in BOTB.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

I just recently went down in rent for the same reasons. I said on Tricia's blog that it seems to draw in other blogs that either don't battle as much or are in another area of BE that I miss.

(there is a secret area, of course...)

Soooo, it's been fun and wait until you start getting emails to rent space ahead of time. My last two renters were pre-arranged...(like one of those overseas weddings)...and I like that idea too.

Hey, I did a guest post at MMTD as well! I'm not sure if that groups me with you or not and I'm not sure I'm happy about that.

Happy Click & Comment Monday!

10:18 PM  
Blogger JIN said...

Thank you for being my regular Saturday Guest. I love your darker post since my blog is always in the darker shade.

Feel free to do all your whatever darker side over there whenever you feel like it.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

This is totally off the topic but.. My god do you have alot of links..

Ohhh and HELLO! =)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Remy said...

Ahhh, it's better to give cookies than to receive.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I read it all - and clicked on links... I want my cookie!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Kentucky Girl said...

Yes, I am a spy.






okay, no. I just happen to know where the blog designer sticks her templates she's working on. heh

3:27 AM  
Blogger Mary Horn said...

Thanks for the cookie, it was so good. Let me know when the next batch comes out of the oven.
I'd be over the moon if you rent to me, what can I say, I'm cheap.
I'm here via C&C from Tricia. I think it is a really great project Cat started. You?
~Mary

4:43 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Jin--Thanks, I like indulging my darker side :)

Shannon--Where you been, girl!

Kenturcky Girl--That is SO not fair, LOL. But I am glad you like it!

6:33 AM  
Blogger ablondeblogger said...

Yes, yes! A HUGE request. I would LOVE to have that audio post on my blog!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Great Day said...

Wow, I'm glad I packed a tuna samich! I almost didn't make it. kudos to you for the community service!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.