My mind is a dangerous place. Make sure you wear a cup.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

My name is Fab, and I am a recovering gaming addict...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I totally used to do that. I used to spend real money to buy fake money that my character could use in the game. I would use it to buy better equipment, weapons, spells, etc.

Yeah, okay. So I was a bit of a geek. There is nothing wrong with that!

I have had a couple of conversations recently with some fellow bloggers who enjoy playing MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games).

VaVa Voom plays City of Heroes. Jen plays Guild Wars. Lynda plays World of Warcraft. Actually, Lynda plays a ton of stuff. I think she is really a guy.

Women who play MMORPGs are, in my opinion, very desirable. Yowza!

Jen was asking me why I didn't still play. I responded that I blog now instead. She couldn't understand why I couldn't do both.

Why? Because I am a sick, sick man. Moderation? What is that? I am not familiar with that concept.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I first played about six years ago. I played Everquest. I got into it because a number of guys at work played it. I didn't just get into it. I become immersed in it.

It got so I was playing it 40+ hours per week. It was a second full time job. I would stay up late. I would get up at 3 AM to play. I ate at the computer. If I was camping an area, I would read while I was on the computer. If Mrs. Fab had given me a bedpan I would never have left the den.

I remember one time that I was camping a dungeon with my Ranger. I was with a couple of guys from work; Corey, who had a Monk, and Mike, who had a Necromancer. I had cautioned Corey to be careful, but Corey was the kind of guy who liked to kick first and ask questions later.

Sure enough, he attacked a creature he didn't have to, and all hell broke loose. He went down fast, and as I tried to hold off the monsters I was screaming for Mike to help.

Where was Mike? Up on the surface. He bailed when the shit hit the fan. Left me and Corey down there. It was couple of days before we could get someone to help us get our corpses back.

I didn't talk to Mike at work for over a week, I was so pissed. I mean, I was livid.

And as I am typing this, I am realizing something. I still have not totally forgiven him.

I can still remember the rush I got when I joined my first group as a young Ranger. We were camping Bandits in...er...I can't remember where the bandits were. But one of our peeps would shoot a spell their way, and the bandits would come rushing out to meet us, and we would rush toward them, and then it was a free-for-all.

Good times.

I got the Ranger up to level 51 (his name was Baragon) and I kind of stalled and so I finally quit, swearing never to return to that time wasting, soul sucking game. And I didn't.

Instead I started playing Dark Age of Camelot. And it all began again. But I never really liked it as much as EQ. I can't even remember who my main character was. Eventually I quit that too.

But then the siren call of EQ started up again, and I went right back to my second full time job, soloing a Necro named Mordac up to 55 before quitting cold turkey.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Until City of Heroes came out. Here was a different game. Here I could make my own superhero. And so it began again. But I played so much I outleveled all my friends (a common occurance) and so I quit that too, vowing never to return to gaming.

Until I got hooked on World of Warcraft. However, it was getting easier to kick the habit. And once I did, that was it for good.

Until I started to play Guild Wars, which I liked because there was no monthly fee. That way I figured I would not be as compelled to play it all the time to get my money's worth.

I was wrong.

But then I discovered blogging. And if I have not made it clear how much time I spend on blogging related activities...

So there is no time left for gaming. Not the way I do it.

Every once in a while I go by the aisle in Best Buy and I feel the tug. City of Villians is out now, as well as a number of other good ones.

I can't. I just can't.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

38 Comments:

Blogger Dick Small said...

First!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Noi Rocker said...

Woohoo..I am second! Hey i think there is nothing wrong with being a geek. They are so 'in' with the girls now..:)

5:29 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

mmm sorry I don't play, I could you know, have sympathised and stuff, my bad :(

6:05 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

I LOVE games. Love them, love them love them! But it's true ... who has the time when one ostensibly works and blogs! x.

6:14 AM  
Blogger threecollie said...

My folks had to drag me kicking and screaming into the computer world because I have just that same addictive personality. I knew if I bought one I would never again get anything done. (Iwas right too). If I didn't HAVE to take care of those damn pesky cows I would live at this desk. (I could you know)
As to your post below about becoming a full time writer. There is little doubt in my mind that you have the talent to pull that off.

7:06 AM  
Blogger MsDemmie said...

I never got to the online gaming - our internet connection has never been that good. Howevre I will confess to having spent far too many hours on diablo , Civ, Pirates, and Dungeon Seige.

Glad you took up blogging - glad to see you back .........

7:06 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

You paid for money? You are sick! lol.

I didn't know you played WoW though. The only MMORPG I really played was WoW, except when I beta tested The Sims 2. (Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you about that. There is a story!)

My biggest problem with MMORPG is that there are always huge jerks. Sometimes I think it is because they realize they are anonymous. Sometimes I think they really are just jerks.

We almost played Guild Wars, because of no monthly fee. I hear it is really good. I have heard City of Heroes is good too. Sometimes I just want to play without having to connect to a server though. Even though games like that are becoming obsolete.

Oh, and that forgiveness thing. My husband can fly off the handle. Sometimes I feel I need to remind him it is just a game.

Dang, I almost did a whole blog post in my comments. hahaha! (BTW, you got my name right the first time, but the second time - tsk, tsk.) :D

7:49 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Dick--Why, yes you were!

Noi--They are? Coolsville!

Lorraine--That's okay, you're perfect just the way you are!

Ellie--Ah, so then you feel my pain!

Three Collie--Aren't the cows old enough to to take care of themsevles? Most of them are adults!

Ms.Demmie--Even though it is not an MMORPG, I should have included Civ. I played every version. Talk about losing track of time!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Aw, you fixed it! Thanks, Fabman!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Annie Drogynous said...

WTF are you talking about?! Boy, this is all so foreign to me!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I remember when my son got nintendo years ago...I couldnt stay away from it....I was hooked! As soon as he left for school I was playing it....lol...I spent way to many useless hours on that!

I do have Sims2 and the expansion packs and I love to play it. But blogging has kinda taken me away from it...but once in a while I still play.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Woo Hoo Im the 11th commenter.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

OOPS! I counter wrong LMAO Im the 12th commenter.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

wohooo 13th! or 14th haha.

I play pogo games, they are like board games and card games, I love it!! I have asked my hubby for Sims 2 soon. I hope he doesnt forget, he can get it a good price because of his computer business.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Annie said...

Don't do it, man! I've lost a fair few friends to the EverCrack.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Dramedy Girl said...

Mr. Fab, we have lots in common. I don't play video games (my hand/eye coordination SUCKS) but once I start something, it's like an obsession. Only I geek out over books. If I find one in a series that I love, I immediately have to buy the whole thing and I will read until my eyes bleed (well, you know...). I've even called in sick to read a series. Or worse yet, I do that with TV shows too.
Don't worry, Geeks are all kinds and there's nothing wrong with a little geekery!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Lynda--It was the least I could do :)

Blair--Be very thankful you don't know! LOL

Catch--I wish I could do it "once in a while."

Lori--You'll be okay LOL

Mel--I have tried Sims a couple of times but just couldn't get into it the way I thought I would.

Annie--Don't worry! Never again!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Finn said...

Oh! You're done. I fell asleep.

Sorry. xo

10:53 AM  
Blogger Cheeky said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these games (and yeah I am a chic) - I am such an addict!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Dramedy--I get the same way about books sometimes. I am always looking for a new series to get into to.

Megan--Ouch! xo

Cheeky--I do to, and all this talk about it...no..no...NO...

12:28 PM  
Blogger MC said...

I used to play at the Discworld MUD, and of course a MUD has many of the same addictive features. It was the cumulative clock that kills you really. When you see that you've spent literally whole months playing in a world, you really start thinking about where that time is going.

I know I have an addictive personality, but I just can't help myself.

Put it this way: I didn't want to buy a PS2 for the longest time because I knew I would go game-crazy again. But after playing GTA:SA, I finally bought one May 2005.

I now own over 40 games for the system, and when I used to buy for my older consoles, I'd end up with a bunch of junk and a few gems so I could find a lot more free time not to be obsessed by games... but now that I know more about what is good and what sucks and what really appeals to me, I have the uneviable task of trying to get through 30+ really good games. ACK!

12:41 PM  
Blogger michele said...

Hey Bill Gates was a geek and
look where he is....Geeks Rock!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

the only game i play is ddr. controllers confuse me. Oh . wait. i play the jaws game for the ps2 but i just swim around eating people, i dont actuially play it

1:22 PM  
Blogger maidink said...

Buy it!!! Buy it, damn you!

Tell me which title you buy and I'll buy it. We'll both register, think of awesome character names, it'll be so cool!

I wanted DandD for my birthday. I was going to register as a ranger wood elf. Alas, no one else I knew would play *sniffle*

Buy it!!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Kyle Korleski said...

I play Neverwinter Nights and hang around the Kinky Kingdom.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Serra said...

I know what you mean, being a site Admin for a MUD site for Legend of the Green Dragon. I've found out tho that the assholes get so annoying (since I'm the one who has to kick their asses as needed) that blogging's a nice balance to get away from there when I need to :)

I have the software for City of Heroes but my video card isn't supported so I have to get a new one before I can go play.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Sudiegirl said...

Oh my...I used to game the old fashioned way - with dice and some nerd who couldn't be bothered with going to class BUT would spend days working out a game.

Anyway...I think I'm glad I'm not into these online games - ay yi yi

2:56 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

I've never been hooked on gaming. Got a little more involved than I should have with the Playstation.

Now I blog there is no time for real life let alone game playing. Unlees it's in the bedroom, which is another story. :)

Good to see you back Mr Fab.

Love ya!

3:19 PM  
Blogger snackiepoo said...

Where the fuck is the World of Warcraft picture? LOL

Ummm, since we just met and am not sure if you know this, my husband is actually the "crack dealer" as he works for Blizzard and was a game designer on WoW but now is a Creative Dev Manager for all of Blizard...so yeah, I totally totally know this post and know of which you speak.

I left a man once because he was addicted to Evercrack...if you put your palladin before my love nest, bye bye birdie ;). Besides, I'd rather be parried to the pusher.

My site actually gets more hits for "wives against warcraft" than anything else because I reamed them in a post one time...woops!

3:30 PM  
Blogger snackiepoo said...

Oh and, I don't even game....even though we actually own our own company that invests in game studios.

I need my time for important things like TV and blogging, thanks.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous ANO said...

Thanks for the comment Mr. Fab! Only gawd knows how many hours left!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Tense Teacher said...

Geek has forbidden me to get World of Warcraft; he knows that he and our child would never see me again. As it is, once I get started playing Sims 2, that's at least 5 hours during which I'm as good as gone.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

MC--You are a sick man. I like that!

Michele--Oh, cool. I guess I should embrace my geekiness!

Blue--Just using it to get your aggressions out, eh? I used to do the same thing with Vice City :)

Maidink--Oh man, why do you tempt me like that? LOL. I HAVE thought about that. It would be cool to have a guild of bloggers on a game...

Kyle--Ooh, I've heard of Neverwinter Nights...

Serra--Yeah, I had to upgrade my video card to play City of Heroes. And I agree that there are a lot of jerks out there...

Sudie Girl--I was never a fantasy board game player. I was more of the Monopoly type of fellow.

Suze--When AREN'T you in the bedroom, darlin'?

Snackipoo--Umm..I think I am in love with your husband :)

ANO--You'll make it! I'll be back over there soon!

Tense Teacher--You are gonna take orders from him? :)

5:10 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I think I am in love with snackiepoo's husband too. Though, my husband works for the publishing company that puts out the hint guide. So I have gotten a lot of cool books. My favorite is the Atlas.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Geek said...

I'm late to the party here but I'm currently addicted to the Call Of Duty series.
And Tense knows if she really wants somthing she will have it as soon as I can get it. Post hast even *said in Snaggletooth's voice*

11:33 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

What the fuck are you talking about? I don't understand the language you are speaking. Try English.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I just bought Civ3 (I'm behind the times). It's so fun and addictive!

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Breigh said...

I played UO, DaoC, SWG, CoH and lastly, WoW.

Gaming is so incredibly addictive *sigh* I quit gaming cold turkey about 2 months ago and I must admit I feel much better.

After about 5 hours of raiding in WoW in one evening (most nights of the week) I was a zombie.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.